National Council report for 1905:
"It is openly recognised today that no work that has ever been taken up by the Council (National) has been more fruitful of good results. From whatever aspect the work in Wales is judged, whether it be the growth of the movement in large centres, the appointment of local Secretaries, the erection of buildings or the enthusiasm with which he pushed forward, there is a deep cause for thankfulness for his blessing and encouragement to the Council to put forth similar efforts in other directions where this is needed."
The period 1910-12 were years of great progress which necessitated an addition to the Council staff. Mr. Roberts Powell was appointed to be responsible for extension developments in West Wales in addition to superintending the efforts of the Industrial Department and Holiday Centre activities. In the years 1910-13 a tented holiday camp was arranged for young men, at Porthcawl; an elderly citizen from the Rhondda Valley, now residing in Cardiff was the first to 'book in’! He remembers even today, with a smile, some of the old antics.
Two substantial buildings were secured for holiday centres in North Wales: at Llandudno the accommodation was for approximately 60 persons, and the
superintended by the staff of the National Council Holidays Department. Their early success was not maintained and after the war, being unprofitable, the buildings were sold. The Colwyn Bay property was bought by a local committee for the purpose of local Association work.
It is also worth recording that the Welsh Council in those days was closely associated with various Welsh traditions and institutions. In 1913 when the National Eisteddfod of Wales was held at Abergavenny, the Council was responsible for the provision of meals and snacks in the large refreshment marquee, under the direction of Gwilym James. His staff, again, were university students and probably local help.
The upsurge of new and more palatial YMCA buildings throughout the country added considerably to the value of Association property and much wisdom was shown in the choice of sites which, as time went on, enhanced their worth. The legal documents relating to such a wealth of estate needed precise and unequivocal statements regarding the endowment of such property.
The task of drawing up a standard model trust deed was entrusted to the Newport solicitor, Mr. William Pratt, who had been a staunch YMCA layman for over 35 years, and Honorary Secretary of the South Wales District Committee for thirty four years. The model deed became available in 1913 and was adopted by most Associations. It was first used to cover the requirements of the Caernarfon YMCA. Reference to the "Caernarfon deed" is found in many vesting deeds of both large and small YMCA properties across the country, by reason of certain clauses being omitted in the local deeds but made valid by quotations of appropriate references to such clauses in the Caernarfon deeds. It became generally spoken of as the "Caernarfon Trust Deed".
Tributes of gratitude were paid to Mr. Pratt for his invaluable and lengthy service, at the National Council meetings and were recorded in the Council's report of 1913.