previously been distributed to participating members.
The Industrial Department.
The Industrial Department increased its membership of Institutes, which in some measure was due to requests for courses of miscellaneous lectures, and a desire to provide activities for young Miners, including inter-Institute meetings.
The growth of the Industrial Department was such that during the 1920s, an Annual Conference was held at Cardiff when about one-hundred representatives attended. These were one day conferences with the morning session confined to discussions on lectures and class organisation.
During the afternoon an address would be delivered by an outstanding educationalist. Speakers included: J. H. Hudson, M.P., Dr. Cranage, Director of the Gilchrist Lecture Foundation, Sir Henry McMahon, Sir Frank Willis, and Professor Heath of Swansea.
Welsh YMCA National_Women's Auxiliary.
A Welsh YMCA Women's Auxiliary was established in 1916. It was inspired by the action of a group of Rhondda women under the leadership of Lady Florence Nicholas, when a sum of £600 was raised in the Valley to establish a hut outside Cardiff Station for H.M. Forces.
The first local Women's Auxiliaries had already been formed, in Swansea in 1906 and later at Newport in 1907. After the First World War, other Local Associations formed Auxiliaries. In some areas Auxiliaries were constituted to assist the general work of the Association, although no local YMCA existed in the district.
In 1921 Mr. & Mrs. Harry Hebson were seconded to assist in Wales. Mrs. Hebson had considerable experience as an organiser of Auxiliary efforts.
With their help the Welsh National Auxiliary was formed, with Lady Kilsant as President for one year. Lady Plymouth became President in 1922 and continued in that office for many years. Their first effort was a Purse Giving Function at the City Hall, Cardiff, when H.R.H. Princess Helena Victoria received the purses.
A full history of their endeavours will be given in later sections.
Territorial Army Camps were centres for Forces training for fifteen days each summer. The YMCA in Wales made provision for social and welfare amenities in these camps for the 4th, 5th and 6th Battalions of the Welsh Regiment.
The first Camp was at Aberystwyth in 1919. The Red Triangle Flag hoisted over the YMCA marquee at Aberystwyth continued to flutter every summer for years, wherever the Welsh Territorials elected to hold their Training Camps and continued to do so for an unbroken period ended by the 1939 outbreak of war.
The YMCA marquee was the social centre for the troops in each camp. A counter and display shelves for cakes, cigarettes and confectionery were erected at one end and a platform at the other with the inevitable piano.