to all YMCA workers in Wales. The Officers agreed to consult the Lord Mayor about the availability of the City Hall at an early date and to request him to be present and to provide tea for his guests.
During the war period Glan-y-Mor did not require a warden. The responsible committee decided to make such an appointment to take effect before the date of the re-opening and after renovations had been completed. Three applicants appeared before the committee, its unanimous choice being Mr. Dan Rees, Secretary of the Abertridwr YMCA.
In May, 1947, the War Department forwarded a cheque for £1,705. respect of reinstatement costs at Glan-y-Mor.
6s 1d in
The appropriate committee of the Council agreed that the central heating system should be reconstructed during the following winter at an approximate cost of £3,500. The Glan-y-Mor credit balance at that time amounted to £6,618 accrued chiefly from the war-time letting.
Although additional extension at Glan-y-Mor merited the attention of the War Emergency Committee, the high building costs in respect of labour and materials, prohibited such undertakings until the following year.
Mr. W. H. Mayne was a tower of strength to the Welsh YMCA and the Executive Committee recommended that the larger of the two dining halls be known as
the "William Mayne Hall May, 1948.
" and dedicated to his memory, he having died in
A Policy to complete proposed extensions at Glan-y-Mor, Coleg y Fro and Glamorfa.
The building squad of the Welsh National Council had been in existence in 1951 for over fifteen years of full employment. Its work load had greatly increased so that at times, it numbered fifteen workmen. The time had come, however, when scarcity of work compelled the Council to consider the future of the squad.
The prospects for local Association building developments were bleak. Three extensive residential Holiday Centres, whilst being prosperous working units, remained uncompleted schemes.
The cost of completing these centres could be partly financed by the sale of the Council Stores, an extensive freehold purpose built modern structure which had become redundant. It had ample stores accommodation; one hall being 80' x 30', various large side rooms, a manager's flat over the main entrance, a lorry garage and two sites reserved for a small bakery and laundry. It was anticipated the sale price would probably clear the total capital debts of the three Centres. On the other hand, the cost of completing the three substantial buildings, carried out in stages covering a period of four years, could be met firstly by utilising that part of the selling price of the stores regarded as the profit on the sale, and secondly by employing part of the trading surpluses of Glan-y-Mor and Glanmorfa, the two holiday centres. At the same time, it would be possible to allocate, from the stores selling price, a small contribution to the Welsh National Council Fund.
The Finance Committee of the Council considered the foregoing concepts set out in the form of a memorandum. The value of the Residential Holiday and Conference centres, together with the beneficial activities of Coleg y Fro, in their estimation fulfilled an integral purpose of the movement and