Port Talbot: The YMCA, with an active membership of over three hundred, maintained a high standard of Association service, for nearly twenty years, in two dilapidated huts of the first War. In 1936, a central site was secured in Station Road and well-planned premises were erected at a cost of over £9,000. The Fitness Council made a grant of £4,500 and Messrs. Richard Thomas and Baldwin donated £2,000. The work was completed in 1940.
Llanelli: A full size gymnasium hall together with additional accommodation for the Boys' Section was built in 1938 at a cost of over £5,000. These sections completed the building extensions of the YMCA. The Fitness Council made a grant of £3,750 towards the cost.
Carmarthen: After an extensive programme of YMCA work for H.M. Forces, the local committee decided to open a YMCA for adults with a junior section. For this purpose, Furnace House, noted for its stately elevations, was purchased. In addition, a large hut, supplied by the Welsh National Council, was erected for use as a gymnasium. The cost of the project was £6,000 and was grant aided.
Rhayader: In 1944 a large detached house with extensive grounds was donated to a local YMCA committee for work with adults and boys. The property required little adaptation but a large room was added for the purpose of games and physical training. It was hoped to plan a residential building for camping and holiday purposes in the Elan Valley. The salary of a residential secretary was grant aided by the Radnorshire L.E.A.
By 1945 the programme of construction of YMCAs in the Powell Duffryn Areas had been completed. The company had donated substantial sums of money towards the capital costs of these new buildings, the considerable maintenance cost of property and towards programme and activities.
During the period 1919 to 1947 the total contribution made by the Company, in the first instance towards the cost of the Aberaman YMCA and later the twelve YMCAs included in the Youth Work Development Scheme, is as follows:
Maintenance Grants. Capital Costs Grants.
£18,253.17.5d. 5,250. O.Od.
The Coal Mining Industry having been nationalised in 1947, the Powell Duffryn Co. conceded its relevant Mining Undertakings in South Wales to the South Western District of the N.C.B. The Board accepted Mr. E. L. Hann’s proposal that it should take over the liability of the Powell Duffryn Company to pay the Welsh National Council the annual amount of £1,200, being the donation towards the maintenance costs of the YMCA Centres for boys' welfare work in the former area of the Powell Duffryn Colliery Company. The Welsh National Council of YMCAs acknowledged the magnanimity of the N.C.B’s South Western District in its agreement to pay the annual maintenance grant as outlined above. This payment was made annually until 1970.
There remains a debt of gratitude to the Chairman and Directors of the Powell Duffryn Company for without their generous support this group of YMCAs would not have been constructed.