for other work. The promoters of the settlement came to the conclusion that their objectives had been accomplished but desired to make arrangements to maintain the work. The General Committee of the YMCA was accordingly invited to accept full responsibility for all programme activities. To enable them to accept the proposal, the promoters generously transferred to the Trustees of the YMCA the block of buildings at the rear of the property and all equipment free of charge. The committee accepted the offer and in this way, the work of the two organisations was merged.
A new Secretary-Warden was appointed. The Rev. Elfed Jones, B.A., the Education Secretary of the Welsh National Council assumed responsibility in 1952. The project received the support of the Glamorgan L.E.A., which grant-aided the cost of staff appointments and general maintenance as was the case in respect of the Settlement Movement. As industry revived, leisure time became more restricted and the volume of activities declined. The work however, continues and many of the activities are still reflected in its present day programme items.
The Barry YMCA was one of the small Associations which was founded between 1882 and 1895. It is probable that its first home was in two rooms over a shop in Broad Street in 1890. Two years later, it moved into a small house, 18 High Street. Another move a year later found it established at 19 Holton
enterprise when in 1907 the Alexandra Hotel in Newlands Street was purchased for conversion into a YMCA premises. Originally the structure cost a rim of brewers £8,000 for use as an Hotel, but the request for a licence met with implacable refusal.
Being vacant, and with no prospect of a licence it was bought for £750. Sir John Cory, President of the South Wales YMCA Committee made a substantial donation towards the purchase of the property. This was in keeping with his custom of assisting the growth of the Movement by donating generously towards the cost of various YMCA building schemes in South Wales.
The new building provided ample accommodation for a diversified programme of work in which religious and educational activities, music and physical training attracted a large representative membership. Elocution and classes in adult education subjects were also prominent. The Barry YMCA Male Voice Party succeeded in establishing a good reputation as did a class in Dickensian Literature.
In the early years after the 1914/18 war, a used timbered structure was erected at the rear of the building for use as a gymnasium. It was well patronised and after years of hard wear showed signs of deterioration and appeared to be a danger to members participating in vigorous exercise. Special meetings of the General Committee, in 1939, considered replacing the gymnasium hut with a building in permanent materials. The National Secretary of the Welsh Council prepared plans for a new gymnasium and two additional rooms at a cost of £3,500, but, as with many other schemes, it became a victim of the war.
In the 1944 Education Act, provision was made to grant aid the cost of building projects for the Service of Youth; it gave a marvellous impetus to the growth of work among young people. The Secretary of the Barry