X hits on this document

PDF document

Symantec enterpriSe Security - page 57 / 97





57 / 97

Symantec Global internet Security threat report

Of particular note for infections in 2009 is the Downadup worm. it appeared in late november 2008, but was most prevalent in 2009. China was by far the most infected country by the height of the spread of Downadup into 2009.161 the prevalence of Downadup points out the need to keep computers updated as much as possible. For example, although Microsoft patched the specific vulnerability that the worm exploits to propagate on October 23, 2008, Symantec recorded an infection count for Downadup of more than 1.5 million in December 2009 alone, more than a year after the vulnerability had been patched.162


2009 Percentage

2008 Percentage













Back door infections

EMEA again accounted for the largest proportion of potential back door infections reported worldwide in 2009, with 37 percent of the total—a slight decrease from 39 percent in 2008. ApJ accounted for the second largest percentage, with 31 percent, followed by nAM again at 23 percent, and LAM at 10 percent (table 16). All regions worldwide approximately doubled in potential infection counts for back doors.

Table 16. Geolocation of back doors Source: Symantec

While the regional percentages of potential back door infections can show wide variances, it is important to note that the worldwide volume of back door threats was significantly lower than trojans and worms. therefore, the percentage variance between regions actually represents a much smaller difference in raw numbers than the percentage differences between worms and trojans. With the worldwide volume of potential back door infections being a much smaller number compared to other infection types, the proportionate rise in infections can likely be attributed to the spread of the Downadup worm with its back door functionality.


the EMEA region overtook the ApJ region for the highest concentration of reported potential infections caused by viruses in 2009. EMEA rose to 45 percent, with ApJ dropping to 40 percent (table 17). LAM and nAM also exchanged proportionate positions in 2009. LAM increased its proportionate share from 6 percent of the total in 2008 to 9 percent in 2009. Meanwhile, virus proportions in nAM dropped from 15 percent in 2008 to 6 percent in 2009. it should be noted that, although ApJ and nAM decreased in proportional percentage total, there was a rise in potential virus counts in all of the regions in 2009. in fact, potential infection counts for viruses rose significantly more than any other infection type in 2009. proportions in LAM increased by 389 percent, followed by EMEA at 314 percent, ApJ at 238 percent, and nAM by only 27 percent. thus, although it appears as though there was a large drop in nAM, the decrease is attributed to the significant proportional rise in other regions with much larger infection counts.

161 162

h t t p : / / w w w . s y m a n t e c . c o m / c o n t e n t / e n / u s / e n t e r p r i s e / m e d i a / s e c u r i t y _ r e s p o n s e / w h i t e p a p e r s / t h e _ d o w n a d u p _ c o d e x _ e d 2 . p d f : p . http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/dd452420.aspx 1 2


Document info
Document views201
Page views201
Page last viewedWed Oct 26 21:40:57 UTC 2016