Page 21 of 93
JAWAHARLAL NEHRU TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
I Year B.Tech. ITT P C
ENGLISH LANGUAGE COMMUNICATION SKILLS LAB
The Language Lab focuses on the production and practice of sounds of language and familiarises the students with the use of English in everyday situations and contexts.
To expose the students to a variety of self-instructional, learner-friendly modes of language learning.
To help the students cultivate the habit of reading passages from the computer monitor, thus providing them with the required facility to face computer-based competitive exams such GRE, TOEFL, GMAT etc.
To enable them to learn better pronunciation through stress on word accent, intonation, and rhythm.
To train them to use language effectively to face interviews, group discussions, public speaking.
To initiate them into greater use of the computer in resume preparation, report writing, format-making etc.
The following course content is prescribed for the English Language Laboratory sessions:
1. Introduction to the Sounds of English- Vowels, Diphthongs & Consonants.
2. Introduction to Stress and Intonation.
3. Situational Dialogues / Role Play.
4. Oral Presentations- Prepared and Extempore.
5. ‘Just A Minute’ Sessions (JAM).
6. Describing Objects / Situations / People.
7. Information Transfer
9. Telephoning Skills.
10. Giving Directions.
The English Language Lab shall have two parts:
The Computer aided Language Lab for 60 students with 60 systems, one master console, LAN facility and English language software for self- study by learners.
The Communication Skills Lab with movable chairs and audio-visual aids with a P.A System, a T. V., a digital stereo –audio & video system and camcorder etc.
System Requirement ( Hardware component):
Computer network with Lan with minimum 60 multimedia systems with the following specifications:
P – IV Processor
Speed – 2.8 GHZ
RAM – 512 MB Minimum
Hard Disk – 80 GB
Headphones of High quality
• Cambridge Advanced Learners’ English Dictionary with CD.
• The Rosetta Stone English Library
• Clarity Pronunciation Power – Part I
• Mastering English in Vocabulary, Grammar, Spellings, Composition
• Dorling Kindersley series of Grammar, Punctuation, Composition etc.
• Language in Use, Foundation Books Pvt Ltd with CD.
Oxford Advanced Learner’s Compass, 7th Edition
• Learning to Speak English - 4 CDs
• Microsoft Encarta with CD
• Murphy’s English Grammar, Cambridge with CD
English in Mind, Herbert Puchta and Jeff Stranks with Meredith Levy, Cambridge
Books Suggested for English Language Lab Library (to be located within the lab in addition to the CDs of the text book which are loaded on the systems):
Spoken English (CIEFL) in 3 volumes with 6 cassettes, OUP.
English Pronouncing Dictionary Daniel Jones Current Edition with CD.