X hits on this document





20 / 114

gram. Graduate assistants are employed as professional support personnel in aca- demic and administrative offices across campus. With the exception of the Division of Health, Physical Education and Recreation where they may serve as instructors for activity courses, graduate assistants do not teach classes. Contact the department/division in which you are majoring for more information.

Federal Work-Study Program. Graduate students who have demonstrated finan- cial need and have met all other requirements may secure work under the work- study program.Graduate students who are employed as graduate assistants sel- dom receive additional employment under the Federal Work-Study program.


Low-interest student loans are available to qualified graduate students at Delta State University. Student loans, in general, must be repaid under some type of deferred repayment plan. All graduate students who wish to apply for any student loan must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA).

Delta State University complies with all federal guidelines in providing loan counseling and information about loan consolidation. It is the philosophy of Delta State University to assist graduate students in keeping their graduate student loan debt at the lowest possible level. Policies and procedures developed at DSU are designed to keep the institution’s default rate at a minimum.

Federal Perkins Loans. Federal Perkins Loans are automatically awarded to grad- uate students who demonstrate extreme financial need through the application process. A Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5 percent) loan. Full-time grad- uate students receive priority in the awarding process. Federal Perkins Loans are made through the financial aid office -- DSU is your lender. You must repay this loan.

Federal Perkins Loans are typically $600-1000 per year. Questions about repay- ment and deferment may be directed to the Perkins Loan Department in the H. L. Nowell Union Building, Room 203, 846-4649.

Federal Stafford Loans are made by a bank, credit union, or savings and loan, or other lender. These loan applications MUST be certified by the Office of Student Financial Assistance. Eligibility for the Federal Stafford Loan is based on financial need. Maximum amounts are determined by the federal government. Graduate students may borrow up to the cost of attendance, if otherwise eligible.

Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans are also made by banks, credit unions, and savings and loans, or other lenders. These loan applications must also be certified by the Office of Student Financial Assistance. Eligibility for the Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan is not based on financial need; however, the student must also complete the FAFSA FORM. When awarded alone or in combination with a Federal Stafford Loan, this loan cannot exceed maximum amounts determined by the federal government.


Graduate students who have previously attended any other post-secondary insti- tution must request a financial aid transcript from that school (even if no aid was received). This transcript must be on file in the Office of Student Financial Assistance before final awards are made.


Document info
Document views420
Page views420
Page last viewedMon Jan 23 10:35:42 UTC 2017