X hits on this document

PDF document

You have rights. Information about your local home telephone services - page 10 / 11





10 / 11

Your right to detailed monthly billing information

You have the right to receive a detailed billing statement every month.

The phone company must provide you with a monthly billing statement which details what local and optional services you subscribe to, and how much you are paying for each service.

The prices for some of the services that you receive may change over time, and the phone company does not necessarily have to notify you before it decides to change them. If you have concerns about an item in your billing statement, contact your phone company or the CRTC.

Your right to register a dispute or complaint

You have the right to dispute charges and to file a complaint about the service you receive. There are processes in place to assist you if you are having difficulties getting service or answers from your phone company.

Disputing phone charges You have the right to dispute any telephone charges on your billing statement that you believe are incorrect. If you dispute a telephone charge, the phone company will investigate your claims, and will make the results of its investigation available to you. The phone company cannot consider the charges that you are reasonably disputing to be past due, but you are required to pay the undisputed portion of your bill.

As a general rule, the phone company cannot threaten to suspend or cut off your local phone service over any amounts that you are reasonably disputing (see "Your rights when the phone company wants to cut off your phone service" section).

Various scams and frauds exist that may affect your telephone service and could lead to additional charges on your phone bill. You are responsible for keeping yourself informed and protecting yourself against various scams and fraud. For more information about known scams and fraud, contact your phone company.

Complaints You also have the right to complain to the phone company if you have any problems with the service you receive. If you have a dispute or complaint, the first step is to speak to your phone company. If the representative handling your call cannot resolve the problem to your satisfaction, you can ask to speak to the service manager or a supervisor in the customer service department.

If you are still not satisfied with the answer you are getting, you can contact the CRTC. The CRTC will ask the phone company to respond to your concern shortly thereafter. You should receive the phone company's response within 20 working days of the CRTC's request. If the CRTC is not satisfied with the phone company's response, it may investigate the matter further.

If you wish to register a complaint, or want to find out more about your rights in general, you can contact the CRTC by:

  • Telephone (toll-free): 1-877-249-CRTC (2782)

  • Telephone for TDD users (toll-free): 1-877-909-2782

  • Facsimile: 1-819-994-0218

  • CRTC Internet address: www.crtc.gc.ca

  • Mailing address: CRTC, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0N2

Document info
Document views39
Page views39
Page last viewedWed Jan 18 06:33:14 UTC 2017