FA C U L T Y Faculty
BOOKLET 2004 – 2005 of Science & Agriculture
INTRODUCTION TO THE FACULTY OF SCIENCE & AGRICULTURE (FSA)
The Faculty of Science & Agriculture (formerly the Faculty of Agriculture & Natural Sciences) was established at the St. Au- gustine Campus of The University of the West Indies in 1996 from the merger of the former Faculties of Agriculture and Natural Sciences. The former was established in 1960 and continued the tradition of excellence in teaching and research of its predecessor, the Imperial College of Tropical Agriculture, while the latter was established at St. Augustine in 1972 from the former College of Arts and Science, which began teaching Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics in 1963. Today the FSA is among the largest in the University offering B.Sc. degrees with majors in Agriculture, Agribusiness Management, Bio- chemistry, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Computer Science, Human Ecology, Environmental & Natural Resource Manage- ment, Mathematics, Physics and Zoology. In addition majors in Science may be combined with a major from another Fac- ulty (e.g. Social Sciences) subject to Prerequisites and avail- ability of places. The number of students registered in the FSA in 2003/04 was 1917 of which 1646 are undergradu- ates..
In addition the Faculty offers ten (10) M.Sc. programmes (in- cluding one by distance teaching) and M.Phil. and Ph.D. de- grees are offered in each department. Undergraduate diplo- mas in Agricultural Extension and Institutional and Commu- nity Nutrition and Dietetics are also offered by the School of Agriculture.