Grand Canyon National Park
2009/2010 Accomplishment Report
Division of Facility Management Remodeling of Verkamp’s Curio Shop
The historic Verkamp’s Curio Shop, acquired by the NPS in 2000, required a complete facelift before it could reopen as the only NPS-operated visitor center in the South Rim hotel area. After extensive work to bring the structure up to building and safety codes and additional cosmetic upgrades, the project was completed at a minimal expense with the cooperation and aid of the park’s Interpretation Division, the Grand Canyon Association (GCA) and others.
The first curio shop opened at the Grand Canyon in 1898. It was a rented tent on the grounds of Bright Angel Hotel where John G. Verkamp sold Indian crafts and curios for Babbitt Brothers’ rading Company. Visitation to the Grand Canyon was not brisk enough to support the business and he closed down after a few weeks, selling his remaining stock to the Bright Angel Hotel. In 1905 he returned to the Grand Canyon to build Verkamp’s Curios at its present location next to the Hopi House. NPS photo
Pasture Wash Road rehabilitation
The unsurfaced Pasture Wash Road provides access to a remote and beautiful area on the south side of Grand Canyon. The road, which passes through a portion of the Havasupai Indian Reservation, was in extremely poor condition, with many potholes, rocky outcrops and overgrown vegetation. Park crews spent many hours grading the driving surface, covering rock areas with road base and trimming vegetation to improve access for the many visitors to this portion of the park. The road work also improved access for residents of the Havasupai Reservation.
The view looking west across Grand Canyon at sunset from Desert View Point. NPS photo