The Sex Discrimination Act 1975 (Public Authorities) (Statutory Duties) Order 2006
Laid before ParliamentNovember 2006
Coming into force6th April 2007
The Secretary of State makes this Order in exercise of the powers conferred by sections 76B(1) and 76C(2) of the Sex Discrimination Act 197512. She has consulted the Equal Opportunities Commission in accordance with section 76B(2) of the Sex Discrimination Act 1975; she has consulted the National Assembly for Wales in accordance with section 76B(3)(a) of that Act; and she has consulted the Scottish Ministers in accordance with section 76C(6) of that Act.
Citation, commencement and interpretation
1. (1) This Order may be cited as the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 (Public Authorities) (Statutory Duties) Order 2006 and shall come into force on 6th April 2007 immediately after section 76A of the Sex Discrimination Act 197513.
(2) In this Order -
“listed authority” means a public authority listed in the Schedule to this Order;
“section 76A(1) duty” means the duty of a public authority, under section 76A(1) of the Sex Discrimination Act 1975, in carrying out its functions, to have due regard to the need to eliminate unlawful discrimination and harassment and to promote equality of opportunity between men and women; and
“staff” includes any person treated as an employee for the purposes of Part 2 of the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 (Employment Field).
Preparation and publication of a Gender Equality Scheme
1. (1) A listed authority shall by 30th April 2007 prepare and publish a Gender Equality Scheme (a “Scheme”), that is a scheme showing how it intends to fulfil its section 76A(1) duty and its duties under this Order.
(2) In preparing a Scheme, a listed authority shall consult its employees, service users and others (including trade unions) who appear to it to have an interest in the way it carries out its functions.
(3) In preparing a Scheme, a listed authority shall take into account any information it has gathered of the kind described in paragraph (6)(a) and any other information it considers to be relevant to the performance of its section 76A(1) duty and its duties under this Order.
(4) A listed authority shall ensure that its Scheme sets out the overall objectives which it has identified as being necessary for it to perform its section 76A(1) duty and its duties under this Order.