Presentation Sisters Union News Update June 2009 Print Version
Buckley, from the North Presentation Convent, as the Lord Mayor, Councillor Brian Bermingham conferred on her the Freedom of the City. Cllr. Bermingham, who was taught by her, described both Eucharia and the other recipient, Dean Denis O’Connor as the “bedrock of the city…...... because of their simple faith and unwavering support of the spirituality and education of generations of Corkonians….”
In her response, Sr. Eucharia dedicated the honour to Nano who inspired her and so many others to join Presentation. “To have been awarded the Freedom of Cork is an honour to treasure for the rest of my life”, she said. “It is also an occasion I wish to share with the worldwide Presentation Congregation.”
Well done Eucharia! We’re proud of you. [Messages to Margaret Coleman]
Day of Reflection for those in Vocations Ministry
Sr. Bernadette Doherty invites all of those interested in Vocations Ministry to join a group of colleagues on a day of reflection next September.
A group of six religious involved in Vocation Ministry meet regularly as a support group. Among other things we discussed the idea of planning a day for religious to come together and be energised, to help us see ourselves as God’s Unshakeable Hope. Vocation is “the task of a few but the responsibility of all” With this in mind we decided to take the risk. Plan a day. And so we planned an event for Birmingham University on 26 September 2009.
Nano & Devotion to the Sacred Heart
Devotion to the Sacred Heart in the Irish Benedictine Abbey of Ypres: In 1704, during the Octave of Corpus Christi, a retreat was preached to the Ypres community by Fr. Louis Sabran, S.J. He had been a companion of Blessed Claude de la Colombiere at the court of St. James, and was then stationed at Paray le Monial. He preached on devotion to the Sacred Heart as revealed by Our Lord to St. Margaret Mary. At the end of the retreat, the community made a solemn Act of Consecration to the Sacred Heart and thus the devotion was established. In 1720 the entire community, with the chaplain, Mr. Jeremy O'Donnell, joined a confraternity established with Episcopal approval, by the Jesuits at Bruges. Finally, in 1732, when the Archconfraternity was established in Rome, the community and their pupils were enrolled, and a private association was established in the school to promote the devotion among the pupils, one of whom was Nano Nagle (1728-1734).
About this time, at the request of Abbess Arthur, the privilege of observing the Feast of the Five Wounds was granted by the Holy See. It was not till 1765 that the Feast of the Sacred Heart was authorised by Pope Clement XI11, and a proper Mass and Office were approved and granted by way of privilege to Poland and to the Archconfraternity in Rome. In the following year leave to celebrate the feast with this Mass and office as Double Major was obtained by Abbess Dalton of Ypres, who was an ardent promoter of the devotion.
In 1768 the former rector of the Jesuit house at Bruges (the Order had recently been suppressed), on his own initiative, asked and obtained from the Sovereign Pontiff, Clement XI11, a plenary indulgence for the Feast of the Sacred Heart and for each First Friday of the year, and 100 days' indulgence once a day to all the faithful who would devoutly visit a picture of the Sacred Heart exposed in the Church of the Irish Abbey at Ypres, under the usual conditions. These indulgences were granted for 7 years. The publication of the indulgences led many people to frequent the Church and the practice of Holy Communion on the First Friday grew year by year.
The nuns looked upon this unexpected favour as a sign which the Divine Heart deigned to give them that He wished to spread the Devotion outside their cloister walls. So far had they been from expecting this favour that they did not possess a picture of the Sacred Heart fit to be exposed in their Church. They had to procure one hurriedly and it remained in use until an Altarpiece had been painted by the artist - Le Ducq: this altarpiece represented Our Lord in Glory as He had appeared to St. Margaret Mary, with one hand raised in blessing and the other pointing to His Sacred Heart; at His feet to one side were St. Bernard and St. Gertrude, and to the other, St. Francis de Sales and St. Margaret Mary, hi 1775 the Indulgence was granted again for 7 years.
Page 17 of 19