45. The population of the United States is shown below for the given years.
Population (in millions)
Use appropriate scale to plot these six ordered pairs.
Calculate the average rate of change in the population from 1900 to 1980.
Present your answer in part(b) in one sentence.
46. Graph 2x y = 1.
(a) Find the x-intercept and the y-intercept.
(b) Use (a) to graph the equation.
47. Graph the solution set of the inequality 2x y 2.
(a) First graph the equation 2x – y = 2.
(b) Use one point to check the inequality. (Specify the point you used.)
48. Solve by substitution method. (Show your work step by
49. Solve by addition method. (Show your work step by
50. With the wind, a plane flies 420 miles in 3 hours. Against the wind, the
plane requires 4 hours to fly the same distance. Find the rate of the plane
in calm air and the rate of the wind.
With the wind
Against the wind
Let c = the rate of the plane in calm air.
Let w = the rate of the wind.