his name. The proposal was accepted by everybody.
One of Nidjei Israel’s first tasks was to organize a house of prayer (Bet Medresh) where they could pray daily, but especially on the Sabbath and holidays.
The anxiety about having their own cemetery came up, because somebody had died and was going to be buried in a Christian cemetery.
At that moment, Mr. Adler came up with the news that Mr. Mentzer would donate a piece of land for the cemetery if a benevolent institution were to be created. When permit for the foundation was granted, Mr. Mentzer donated one thousand meters of land to the Nidjei Israel Benefit.
The Nidjei Israel Alliance was formed on August 19, 1924 and the document was protocolized on November 13, 1925.
The benevolent society continued renting a place on the 5 de Mayo 38 Alley until 1931 but membership was growing and there was not enough room and finally they decided to rent a house on Jesus María 3.
In 1933 Aarón Kletzel changed the name to Benevolent Alliance Nidjei Israel.
On January 27, 1937 they decided to buy land on Justo Sierra 71 and 73 and erect a synagogue. It was inaugurated on September 14, 1941.
From the very first years of Nidjei Israel’s creation several voices came up from the Ashkenazi Community in Mexico about the need to form a Kehillah, in the manner of European Kehillot (the idea had surfaced in 1926).
The Kehillah began its formal operations on January 1, 1957. It first board was made up of fifty four members, plus eleven collaborators from its subsidized organizations. Its first president was Simón Feldman.
The board’s plans, once its financial base was consolidated were:
To ensure the material existence of the Jewish school of the country.
To reduce school fees.
To buy new buses for the schools.
To edit a special publication about the Kehillah.
To obtain basic books for education.
To publish a children’s magazine.
To organize a youth excursion to Israel
To create a press to publish the work of Jewish writers in the country.
The 1988 elections renewed the board of the Ashkenazi Kehillah in Mexico. The winning list was headed by Jaime Bernstein and Israel Feldman; the latter was named president with vice-presidents Jaime Bernstein and Mendl Engelmayer.
After 1996 one of the president’s priorities was to approach all Ashkenazi institutions to try to bring them into the community fold. It tried to learn the problems in the schools, synagogues and other congregations to promote unity, because it felt that together much more could be done and there would be a much stronger Council.
There were new challenges and a solution had to be found as soon as possible. By petition of the Board and Ramat Shalom (an Ashkenazi synagogue) a decision was taken: to name a group of people from Ramat Shalom as well as from the Kehillah to perform a deep study of the Ashkenazi problems to present a new structure. Ramat Shalom’s position about its adherence to the Kehillah was clear and definite. This union could benefit both and in time reduce expenses and efforts. In 1997, the Ashkenazi Community Board was created.
The fonds is divided into six sections:
I) Record of Proceedings; II) Cultural Department; III) Eshel (Old People’s Home); IV) Religious Department; V) Administration; y VI) Department of Education (Vaad Hachinuch).
The documents belonging to this fondsallow us to reconstruct the history of the Kehillah. There is information about its presidents, of the meetings of its board, of the purchase of several pieces of land, building of its synagogues, various rulings, the change of name it has gone through in institutional life, etc.
2) FONDSOF THE MEXICAN JEWISH CENTRAL COMMITTEE (1938-1992).