institution. She published several articles on Jewish tradition and religion. She was secretary of Aliyat Hanoar and president of Yom Hayeled (Children’s Day). She participated with the Plugah (defense) during the Six Day War. She proposed creating the Women’s Group of Karen Hayesod and was its president until 1969, as well as of Cavi, group dedicated to assist handicapped children. Her great community activity led her to have a relationship with Golda Meir and Eleanor Roosevelt. She worked in the Association of Jewish Journalists in Mexico, as well as in Zionist organizations.
In her files we find mainly documents about Aliyat Hanoar, Yom Hayeled, Cavi and Keren Hayesod.
IV. GRAPHIC ARCHIVES:
NAME OF FONDS OR COLLECTION
FIRST AND LAST DATES
NUMBER OF UNITS
This corpus is integrated by 32 fonds and collections*. It is divided into photographs that add up to 7,000 and posters, slides and one thousand New Year’s cards called Leshanot Tovot for the Jewish New Year.
ASHKENAZI KEHILLAH FONDS (NIDJEI ISRAEL)
It was the first Ashkenazi community institution, founded in 1922, made up of 30 people, coming from Eastern Europe. They desired to copy the model of institutions that they had left behind in their original towns. On November 13, 1925, the Benevolent Alliance Nidjei Israel was founded. Its rulings show the spirit of solidarity among the members of the Community. In 1957 it changed its name for that of Ashkenazi Kehillah.
Mr. Mentzer, a Hungarian Jew, donated a one thousand meter piece of land located outside the city, on the road to Toluca to the Benevolent Alliance Nidjei Israel to create the first Ashkenazi cemetery, on May 26, 1927. On November 4 of that same year, the cornerstone was placed. Nidjei Israel inaugurated the cemetery in 1928. That same year the Chevrah Kadishah (Care of the Dead) was formed.
The fonds is divided into sections: Eshel (Old People’s Home), Education, Events, Culture, Religion, Board of Directors, Administration and Center of Documentation and Investigation of the Ashkenazi Community of Mexico. It includes photographs of inaugurations, parties, celebrations, synagogues, events, the Jewish Music Festival, cemetery, artistic groups and rabbis.
2) MEXICAN COUNCIL OF JEWISH WOMEN FONDS.
It was formed in 1938 as part of the Mexican Jewish Central Committee under the name of Women’s Section. In 1962 it became independent and took the name of Mexican Council of Jewish Women (linked to the International Council of Jewish Women). Its activities carried the slogan “From Jewish women to Mexican women”. From 1943, it has contributed to the building, maintenance and attention of nurseries, schools and hospitals.
* The documental fonds correspond to documents from some institution and the collections of documents taken up for some reason or from somebody.