X hits on this document

161 views

0 shares

0 downloads

0 comments

28 / 48

190

U N I T E D A R A B E M I R AT E S Y E A R B O O K 2 0 0 8

ADWEA also plans to privatise Abu Dhabi emirate's sewerage sector. Here too, major companies are invited to own 40 per cent as well as to provide finance, management and operation for two new sewage treatment plants.

Singapore's SembCorp Utilities is developing the Dh6 billion Fujairah I project. After takeover and expansion, the project will have a capacity of 880 MW and 102 MIGD daily. In addition, amidst tough competition, international consortia competed to bid for Abu Dhabi's Dh11 billion eighth independent water and power project (IWPP), Fujairah II. The deal was acquired by a consortium of International Power, of the UK, and Marubeni, of Japan. This second-phase of development calls for the addition of 2000 MW of electricity and 130 MIGD. As with the previous privatisation paradigms, the successful bidder acquired a 40 per cent stake in the project and will finance, build and operate the plant, which will be financed by a group of local, regional and international banks and financial institutions.

ELECTRICITY PEAK DEMAND HIGH FORECAST

2010 2015 2020

ABU DHABI

7,011 10,412 11,412

AL AIN

1,741 2,136 2,460

WESTERN REGION

9,822 13,947 14,340

ADWEA is also implementing a series of projects in the Western Region, in Zayed City, Ghiyathi, Abu Al Abyadh Island, Jenanah Island and other areas, in addition to a desalination plant of 2 million gallons capacity on Al Yasat al-Soghra Island. In January 2007 ADWEA awarded a Dh346.68 million (US$94.33 million) contract to India's Larsen & Toubro (L&T) for the construction of six 33/11kV primary electrical substations in Al Ain. The project will be completed by mid-2008.

TAQA

The Abu Dhabi National Energy Company (TAQA) is an energy investment company founded in June 2005 in which the government of Abu Dhabi through ADWEA owns 51 per cent. Because of its 90 per cent stake in six of the nine independent water and power producers (IWPP) in the Emirates (the remaining 10 per cent is owned by ADWEA), TAQA has been instrumental in providing over 85 per cent of Abu Dhabi's power and water desalination needs.

TAQA’s interests include oil and natural gas exploration and production as well as power generation, and its shares are traded on Abu Dhabi Securities Market (ADSM).

TAQA has also ventured into overseas acquisitions (see section on Economic Development). Major deals in 2007 included the purchase of CMS Generation, a subsidiary of the US integrated energy firm CMS Energy (CMS). The transaction solidifies TAQA's interests in two

Document info
Document views161
Page views161
Page last viewedSun Dec 11 14:39:17 UTC 2016
Pages48
Paragraphs463
Words16333

Comments