Renewable & Efficient Energy
Solar water heating.
Photo-voltaic panel with energy
Natural lighting and ventilation.
Very low embodied energy.
5) Waterless composting toilet (enviro-loos by Enviro Options).
6) Rainwater collection and greywater recycling.
7) water efficient appliances i.e. tap aerators and water efficient showers.
8) Non-toxic finishes & timber preservatives.
9) High level of natural light & Thermal comfort.
Evidence of high performance
ENERGY 1) It is well documented that solar water heaters will typically save 50-60% of a household’s electrical bill.
2) All lighting typically accounts for approx. 11% of a household’s energy use.
3) The plan allows for excellent good cross ventilation and natural ventilation. The curved shape of the roof creates uplift which encourage airflow together with a natural stack effect through glass openable louvered clerestory windows. In addition these enhance the levels of natural light.
4) Embodied Energy is said to account for 30 years of a building’s energy cycle with this building having used a fraction of this.
Toilet flushing typically accounts for a third of a households water use.
Garden water is said to account for 35% of a household’s water use,
which is covered by the rainwater tanks and the greywater reuse.
7) The water efficient shower’s, use 11-12 Litres a minute compared to 20- 22 litres per minute typically consumed. Tap aerators cut flow by 50%
8) Safty data sheets confirm non-toxicity of finishes and preservatives specified.
9) The design way exceeds the typical performance of standard conrete block and conrete roof tile with flat ceilings typical to Mtunzini.