and programs. This point was critical throughout the entire process.
One of the most attractive communities in New Jersey, Warren Township, has a great history and an even greater future. Originally, Warren Township was inhabited by the Lenape Indians. European farmers settled the territory in the early 1700's; and in 1806 Warren was carved from part of surrounding towns and incorporated. The town was named after General Joseph Warren who was a hero of the Battle of Bunker Hill during the American Revolution.
Warren Township has 19.3 square miles. It is nestled in the Watchung Mountains. Once described as "the greenest place in New Jersey,” Warren Township residents and elected officials are working to keep its rural character and charm while recognizing that there will be growth due to the town's beauty, favorable property taxes and strategic location.
Less than 35 miles to Manhattan makes Warren Township a favorite suburb for commuters to New York City. Businesses and residents alike chose Warren as their home because of the access to major roads and resources. Warren is positioned between Route 78, Route 22 and Route 287. It is also close to major shopping centers and great restaurants.
Warren Township is the location of over 350 businesses. These include restaurants, retail, and manufacturing & office occupancies. The Township’s Master Plan has kept commercial and industrial growth to only a few main streets. Most of the commercial property is found on Mountain Boulevard, Mount Bethel Road, and Sterling Road.
Inventory Of Recreational Resources
Township Parks and Trails
The Municipal Grounds are located adjacent to and behind the Municipal Building, Library and Police Station at 46 Mountain Boulevard. Comprising approximately 25 acres, the grounds include 5-lighted multi-purpose fields. A covered pavilion with rest rooms and a water fountain is available for use. Part of the area is used for youth sports, summer concerts and large community events. There are also basketball courts, picnic areas with playground equipment, an asphalt walking trail, a one (1) mile hiking trail, and three tennis courts available to the public.
Greenwood Meadows Park is located off of Liberty Corner Road and offers a playground area, recreational ball field, sledding slopes, tennis courts, gazebo, and a newly constructed shelter for public use.