Early 1890’s Sylvester and Melinda Scott settled on Deep Creek (Warm Lake Highway crosses it at east end of Scott Valley). Scott Valley was named after them. The winter of 1893 was severe so they decided to move to a more hospitable site on the Salmon River. They raised 18 children (yes eighteen). From Duane Peterson and a book Spirits of the Salmon River by Kathy Deinhard Hill p. 148.
1890 census was taken but it was destroyed by fire after being collected at the national level.
1893 Caswell brothers Lou, Ben, Dan, and Court were first settlers on Big Creek and are credited with the first gold discovered on Thunder Mountain (located 18 air miles east of Yellowpine). Their big strike was in 1900 at the head of Mule Creek. USFS
1894 John Wesley Knox prospected in the Warm Lake area. The mining company that bought his and his partners claims named the way station “Knox” after him.
1895 map shows Hot Lake, now called Warm Lake on the South Fork of the Salmon River. Some mining claims had their location referenced from Hot Lake. Other earlier maps showed the lake as Warm Lake.
1895, March 11 the State of Idaho first requires marriage licenses. Handy Book for Genealogists by the Everton Publishers, Inc. 1971
1897, Oct. 21 or 22nd Herman St. Clair murdered John Decker at old Leister place near Van Wyck (near Cascade). St. Clair went to jail at Idaho City and was tried and later hanged on June 24, 1898. Life On a Homestead p55 and Idaho World June 24, 1898.
Ca 1898 Charles C. Randall filed a mining claim, built the first structures, and began to rent lots to others as Knox became a major stop for miners taking the Thunder Mountain Road into Roosevelt. In 1904 he was postmaster at Knox. For a short time the site was called Randall. Randall filed a homestead entry on Knox in 1909 but didn’t get it patented. He operated a hotel, store, and stable. The town served about 200 people. He left about 1912. From notes in the Knox file at the State Genealogical Library, author unknown.
1899 Surveyors for Colonel W. H. Dewey (Dewey Syndicate) had surveyed east of Clear Creek over the summit to the S. Fork of the Salmon for a rail line headed for Dewey’s mining interests in the Thunder Mountain and Roosevelt area. The line was never built. Source: Rivers & Rails p27 & 34. Railroad pass at the head of Clear Creek was apparently named due to this survey.
1900 census the South Fork of the Salmon River was in the Warren precinct of Idaho County.
1902 The gold rush to Thunder mountain area was on. The P & IN p.24