1902 Dewey obtained public funding to rebuild a pack trail into a wagon road from Crawford (E. of Cascade) to Knox (NW of Warm Lake). The road was not completed until 1904. Source: Rivers & Rails p28 & 29.
1903 a state appropriation was made to build the road into the new mining town of Roosevelt. A telephone and telegraph was also built into the town. 7000 people were getting their mail at the Roosevelt post office. USFS
1904-1908 Knox had a post office. From History Of The Boise National Forest p145 & Trails of the Frank Church – River Of No Return, p 292.
1905 President Theodore Roosevelt officially established the USFS. Young Men and Fire by Maclean, page 23.
1905, Aug.12 T. J. Little killed Charley Hanlen at Knox when Hanlen went to clean out the Little camp and Little protected himself and property. Later Little convinced the court in Idaho City that it was self-defense and he was acquitted. One of Hanlen’s acquaintances was surprised that Hanlen lived as long as he did. From the Aug. 26, 1905 The Prospector and Thunder Mountain News, Roosevelt ID.
1905, Nov. 17 a post office was established at Thunderbolt with Wm. L. Standatler as postmaster. It was discontinued Sept. 29, 1906 with Knox as the nearest post office. From the book Post Marked Idaho. Apparently this was the mine/mill site on Cabin Cr. four miles north of Paradise Valley.
1906 Gold Bar Placer plotted on Cabin Creek, the mill & mine. Knox had 50 people. (BLM) John Wesley Knox, John Reeves and Elmer Bell had sold to the Trappers Flat Mining and Milling Company of Nampa Idaho. From Bob Barr audiotape
1907 Bill & his wife (Aunt) Molly Kesler moved to Knox and later built the Warm Lake hotel (between the existing lodge and the lake).
1907 LaVells L. Bush was Knox postmaster (from the book Post Marked Idaho and reported in the Warren Times newspaper).
1908 The first telephone line construction began on the former Payette National Forest with the purchase of a private line from Crawford to Knox. In 1910 Knox was connected to Stolle Meadows and adjacent places. Source: History of the Boise National Forest p127.
1908 June 7, a wet soil flow blocked Monument Creek and flooded out Roosevelt. USFS
1910 census, the South Fork of the Salmon was in the Roosevelt precinct of Idaho County.