Merchant Marine School ‐ 1953
The return address translates from the French as:
State of Viet Nam Education Ministry Vietnamese Sea Transport Merchant Marine School
This school is where the French trained the Vietnamese to serve in various functions on their ships. This school was later turned over to the Vietnamese and was in operation for many years.
After the French left Indo‐china the South Vietnamese Navy was founded and inherited a number of warships from the French. In order to build up the Navy the government began recruiting mariners from this school.
The recipient was a second mechanic aboard the French ship Pigneau De Bihaine
S:“Service” M: “Maritime” EO: “Extrême Orient”
Red Hand Stamp:
Quoc Gia Viet Nam: "State of Viet Nam" Hang Hai Hoc Hieu: "Merchant Marine School" Hieu Truong: "School Principal" (office of)