X hits on this document

PDF document

THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-LA CROSSE - page 13 / 55

131 views

0 shares

0 downloads

0 comments

13 / 55

CHAPTER TWO

THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-LA CROSSE HOUSING OPERATION

PAST AND PRESENT

The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse has undergone many

transformations since its beginning in 1909.

was

originally

a

normal

school

until

1927

when

The

it

University became

La

Crosse

State

Teachers

COllege.

In

1951

it

was

changed

to a state

cOllege

colleges.

Then in

in accordance with the other state teachers 1964, due to the merging of the state

college system, it was changed to a state university and has

remained so to date (Gilkey, 1979).

As with the University itself, the housing operation

has the

endured many changes throughout the years as well. first four decades of the University's existence,

For there

was virtually no established housing available to the students. Housing personnel primarily consisted of the Dean of Men and

the

Dean

of

Women.

It

was

these

two

very

vital

individuals

who

handled

the

affairs

of

the

college

students.

One

of

their

primary responsibilities was to scout for and maintain a list

of suitable off campus housing for the students (Gilkey, 1979) Perhaps the most noteworthy Dean of Men and Dean of

Women

were

Richard

"Joe"

Gunning

and

Edith

Cartwright.

Mr.

Gunning

was

the

second

and

final

Dean

of

Men.

He

assumed

the

position in 1947 and remained at the University until 1971.

Document info
Document views131
Page views131
Page last viewedMon Dec 05 20:55:06 UTC 2016
Pages55
Paragraphs3743
Words10570

Comments