Edith Cartwright became the sixth Dean of Women in 1941.
was primarily through the diligence of Dean Cartwright, the assistance of Dean Gunning and others, that campus housing was finally established (Cartwright, 1986).
The initial thrust at campus housing involved the opening
of a cooperative house on West
Avenue. This a housemother
employed, the residents were responsible for all of the cleaning
ran essentially the same as it had with women and accommodated approximately thirty two men (Alumni Briefs, Winter 1957).
In January of 1952, Wilder Hall,
the very first on campus
living facility opened its doors for approximately eighty
In April of the same year,
purchased the second
state owned dormitory. 1952 and housed seventy
It officially opened in the Fall of women (La Crosse Tribune, May 1956).
Until 1958, other than the cooperative house, the only
housing established for men at the University were quonset
huts for faculty and student veterans of WWI. when Reuter Hall opened in the Fall of 1958 to men (Gilkey, 1979).
That changed accomodate 200
truly proved to
be the decade of rapid dormitory Trowbridge Hall, built in 1960,