X hits on this document

PDF document

THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-LA CROSSE - page 18 / 55

126 views

0 shares

0 downloads

0 comments

18 / 55

,

-

CHAPTER THREE

THE TRANSITION FROM HOUSEMOTHER TO HALL DIRECTOR

The transition from housemother to hall director at the

University of Wisconsin-La Crosse has been a multifaceted

journey.

Since

the

inception

of

such

a

live-in

position,

the

changing times have continually necessitated the numerous refinements that have taken place.

The very first housemother to be employed by the University

was

Mrs.

Emma

Davis.

Her

first

assignment

was

as

housemother

at

the

cooperative

house

on

West

Avenue.

She

acted

very

much

in a "in loco parentis" capacity and made sure that the

policies

of

the

house

were

upheld.

She

eventually

transferred

to Reuter Hall when it opened in 1958 and then to White Hall

in 1962.

When Wilder Hall opened in January of 1952, Ms. Jean

Antes

was

hired

as

the

initial

housemother.

She

was

also

a

sociology

teacher

at

the

University.

As

a

housemother,

she

was responsible for maintaining the rather stringent policies

of

the

time.

For

instance

the

curfew

for

the

female

residents

was

10:30

on

weeknights

and

Midnight

on

weekends.

Failure

to adhere to these hours meant disciplinary action from Ms.

Antes.

The women had to wear skirts to class

allowed to "loiter" in the lobby in (Emma Lou Wilder Freshman Handbook,

shorts 1959).

or

and were not blue jeans

Document info
Document views126
Page views126
Page last viewedSun Dec 04 14:23:21 UTC 2016
Pages55
Paragraphs3743
Words10570

Comments