A SYNOPSIS OF THE HALLS AND THOSE WHO HAVE DIRECTED THEM
Since the inception of state owned campus housing at the
University, a total of thirteen halls have been purchased or constructed for the purpose of accommodating the college-aged
At present, eleven of those are still in operation.
Grandview and Wilder Halls, the two original dormitories, stopped housing students in 1966 and 1970 respectively. eleven halls that do remain are Angell, Hutchison, Coate,
White, Sanford, Reuter, The primary purpose of
Laux, Trowbridge, Drake and this chapter will be to provide of the thirteen halls with a
special emphasis on documentation of those individuals who have served as housemothers/head residents/hall directors within each hall throughout the years.
the very first state owned campus housing
facility at the University, officially opened its doors in
January of 1952 after a tremendous amount of ballyhoo and
The bUilding was named after Miss been a physical education teacher
Emma Lou at the
University from 1921-1956 (Racquet, January 1952).