X hits on this document

PDF document

THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-LA CROSSE - page 24 / 55

142 views

0 shares

0 downloads

0 comments

24 / 55

19

students although some University students had dwelled there

as

well.

After

a

extensive

renovation,

Grandview

opened

in

September of 1952 to accomodate 70 female students.

The initial housemother in Grandview was Ms. Lydia Palmer.

She had a Ph.D. and also taught sociology at the University.

The next year she was succeeded by Ms. Margaret Nolte who

also followed her in teaching sociology (Racquet, September

1952, 1953). Because Wilder and Grandview Halls were the only campus

facilities for women until 1960, there was always a high demand

for

residency.

In

Grandview,

a

draft

was

held

annually.

In

1957, for example, 157 women drew for 85 spaces (La Crosse

Tribune, May 1957).

Though Ms. Palmer and Ms. Nolte were very educated women,

their

successors

tended

not

to

be.

Some

of

the

housemothers/

head residents in Grandview through the years included Grace

Webster, Mrs. Wilda Syverson, Sally Cemen and Ruth Pederson. The hall remained a living facility for women up until

1963 when it began housing men, particularly fraternities.

This remained intact until the closing of Grandview in the

Spring

of

1967.

The

building

still

remains

as

do

the

memories

for the many who called it "home" £or the years of its

existence as a dormitory (Koehler, 1986).

Reuter Hall

In 1958, a phenomenon, of sorts, occured at the University

Document info
Document views142
Page views142
Page last viewedWed Dec 07 00:01:42 UTC 2016
Pages55
Paragraphs3743
Words10570

Comments