-Ask Human Resources or Benefits Department for information/application. This information should include the process and form for the doctor to complete
-Include all medical conditions
-This may be available as the youth leaves high school
* HIPAA - The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act - stands also for portability (page 18 of the Transition Health Care Checklist)
-When changing Group Health Insurance get a Certificate of Coverage for portability. This will waive the waiting time and any increased costs for pre-existing conditions. A formula may be applied
* Social Security as an adult is one pathway to public insurance (Medical Assistance) (page 19 of the Transition Health Care Checklist)
* Youth receiving SSDI benefits as a child will need to reapply as an adult with disabilities (page 20 of the Transition Health Care Checklist)
* Youth may want to apply for MAWD-Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities (page 23 of the Transition Health Care Checklist)
* It is critical to have current evaluations and assessments including educational, medical and psychological. These are needed to apply and qualify for many services and programs
* Remember to return to the doctor for prescriptions and referrals for testing and services paid by public and private insurance
* Depending on whether private or public insurance is used as primary, explore the type and level of services available. Check if covered services meet the needs of the youth
* Be sure to show all service providers all insurance cards
Appendix A: Communication
Consumer and Provider Checklist for Working Together
* Am I an equal partner?
* Have I mentally reversed roles?
* Have I accepted my share of the responsibility?
* Do I respect the other?
* Do I listen, respond, and listen again?
* Am I open to new ideas and concerns?
* Do I create a comfortable environment?
* Do I bring “what I say” and “what I feel” closer?
* Am I clear about needs?
* Do I clarify fact and opinion?
* Do I respect and discuss confidentiality?
* Do we see each other in more than one dimension: looking beyond the condition or disability?
* Do we value each other’s experience?
* Do we care about each other’s emotional needs?
* Do we encourage communication with others to increase knowledge and to decrease isolation?
* Do we make every effort toward solutions and finding resources?
* Do we plan together?
* Do we all understand the directions?