(1) The Department of Law Enforcement has established in each area of the state served by a Department regional office a Regional Violent Crime Investigative Coordinating Team ( Team). All formal funding requests for violent crime investigation or violent crime trial expense reimbursement funding must be submitted to the Team in the region from which the request is made. Upon receipt, the Team shall review the request to determine whether it appears to conform with the requirements of rule and statute. If the request is determined to not conform with such requirements, it shall be returned to the submitting agency, with the deficiencies specifically noted along with suggestions on how the request may be revised to bring it into conformance with requirements. If the request is determined to conform with such requirements, the head of the Regional Violent Crime Investigative Coordinating Team shall signify in writing the Team’s review and endorsement for Council consideration, and forward the request to the Council as noted below.
(2) In order to assure careful consideration of requests before presentation to the Council, written requests for funding shall be submitted by the head of the Regional Violent Crime Investigative Coordinating Team so that they are received at least 30 days prior to the next scheduled Violent Crime and Drug Control Council meeting. Requests shall be mailed to: Florida Violent Crime and Drug Control Council, c/o Florida Department of Law Enforcement, P. O. Box 1489, Tallahassee, Florida 32302.
(3) Agencies making formal funding requests under this section, shall submit to the Council via the Regional Violent Crime Investigative Coordinating Team a detailed and itemized written request and the head of the requesting agency shall certify in writing that the request complies with the requirements established by this rule for funding. The request shall be accompanied by form FDLE/IFS-001 . The request shall describe the violent crime case in relation to the criteria established in this rule chapter and shall state details and specifics demonstrating that the resources of each requesting agency are insufficient to meet the investigative or trial expenses in the agency’s current fiscal year.
(4) The Florida Violent Crime and Drug Control Council shall review all formal funding requests and approve or disapprove all or part of each request based upon the criteria specified in this rule chapter, the needs outlined by the requesting agency, and funds available in the Violent Crime Emergency Account.
(5) No change.
(6) Agencies receiving advance funding under this section from the Violent Crime Investigative Emergency and Drug Control Strategy Implementation Account shall provide a written quarterly report to the chairperson of the Florida Violent Crime and Drug Control Council of all expenditures from the Account funds. The report for such advance funding shall be accompanied by form FDLE/IFS-002. Requesting agencies shall retain documentation supporting expenditures from the Account and make these available during the annual evaluation and audit of the trust fund.
(7) Within 60 days of the conclusion of the violent crime investigation or trial, or 180 days after disbursement of the advance funding, whichever is sooner, the receiving agency shall return any unexpended funds to the Department of Law Enforcement for re-deposit in the Violent Crime Investigative Emergency and Drug Control Strategy Implementation Account, unless the Florida Violent Crime and Drug Control Council authorizes an extension of the funding based upon a determination that the receiving agency is continuing in good faith to utilize such funds or upon a request of the receiving agency that additional time is needed to prepare and submit a final reconciliation and report to the Council.
(8) - (9) No change.
Specific Authority 943.03(4), 943.042 FS. Law Implemented 943.031, 943.042 FS. History–New 3-10-94, Amended 10-10-95, 10-25-01, 12-3-03, 3-27-06, 3-21-07, _________________.
Procedures for Funding Requests for Drug Control Investigative Funding.
(1) The Department of Law Enforcement has established in each area of the state served by a Department regional office a Regional Drug Enforcement Coordinating Team ( Team) to coordinate the identification and development of multi-agency or statewide drug control or illicit money laundering investigative or task force efforts that significantly contribute to achieving the state’s goal of reducing drug-related crime as articulated by the Office of Drug Control, that represent a significant illicit money laundering investigative effort, or that otherwise significantly support statewide strategies developed by the Statewide Drug Policy Advisory Council established under Section 397.333, F.S. Each Team will be under the direction of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement Special Agent in Charge for the area of the state in which the Team operates. The Team should be made up of representatives of state, local, and federal law enforcement and prosecuting entities working within the area.
(2) All requests for drug control investigative effort funds from the Violent Crime and Drug Control Council must be developed in conjunction with, and approved by, the Team in the region from in which the lead requesting agency is located. No request submitted without the endorsement of the Team will be considered by the Council.
(3) Prior to submitting a request for drug control funds to the Department of Law Enforcement for review and consideration for Council funding, the Team shall assure that the various requirements of this rule have been satisfied.