X hits on this document

PDF document

Naming your baby and birth certificate information - page 4 / 8





4 / 8

How to get a birth certificate for your baby

Birth certificates may be obtained by mail or fax from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) or in person from any Minnesota local registrar or county license center office. If you wish to order a Minnesota birth certificate by mail, please visit the MDH website at www.health.state.mn.us for order forms and more information.

Since MDH no longer handles in-person requests, you must go to a local registrar or county license center office to buy a birth certificate in person. It is no longer necessary to go to the registrar’s office of the county where the birth took place. You may go to a registrar’s office in any county in Minnesota. You will be asked to complete and sign an application stating that you have tangible interest (parents and guardians have tangible interest) in the certificate and show identification.

Birth certificates cost $26.

If you need to make a change or correction to the birth certificate, you may use the Parent Notice you will receive in the mail—as long as you make the change within 45 days. To make a Parent Notice correction, simply follow the directions on the Parent Notice and return it by the deadline printed on the form.

After 45 days, amendments cost $40 and you will be asked to complete an amendment form and provide documentation to prove the change is justified and accurate. See the MDH website for more information at www.health.state.mn.us.

Social Security Cards for babies

If you request it, the Minnesota Department of Health will electronically transmit birth data to the Social Security Administration as a service to you. Birth record changes or corrections are not communicated to SSA. If you make any changes to your baby’s name, you must contact the Social Security Administration to change the Social Security Card. If you do not receive the Social Security card for any reason, contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213. Or, purchase the birth certificate and bring it to the Social Security office. Social Security cards cannot be forwarded or re-sent for any reason.

You cannot obtain a birth certificate or a social security card from the hospital.

Document info
Document views24
Page views24
Page last viewedTue Jan 17 23:26:35 UTC 2017