1864 – Henderson’s Mill (the township) put up for sale. 5,000 acres of arable farmland. The remaining 5000 acres consisted of bush land, with Kauri, Rimu and other timber trees. Buildings included a saw-mill, the manager’s residence, and house accommodation for 100 workmen. Store, farm buildings, granary, stables, cowsheds, stock yards, and numerous other out buildings.
1868 – Henderson‘s saw mill ceased production.
1880 – Albert Beetham was Henderson’s first manufacturer with his sauce and pickle factory.
1884 – George Pirrit set up a water wheel driven plant on the Oratia Stream to power his heel and toe plate factory.
Oratia Hotel (Falls Hotel) 1873 – Oratia Hotel (named after the Oratia Creek) opened for business on 1 July. The first licensee was “Shepherd” John McLeod. The building was originally built in the 1860’s. It was renamed the Falls Temperance Hotel and Store on 20 December 1890. Name shortened to Falls Hotel on 2 June 1897. The Hotel was shifted in 1962 so that another block of shops could be erected in the front of the building. In December 1996, the Falls Hotel was shifted again to the corner of Edmonton Road and Alderman Drive. The building was completely restored and is now a successful restaurant.
Henderson School – Founded in April 1873, originally known as Henderson Mill School. (The name was changed in 1893 to Henderson School by the Education Board). Originally the school was part of the Henderson Mill site. Moved to a new location on Great North Road in 1880. In 1885, 42 pupils attended the school. The school’s centenary was held in 1973, 125th jubilee in 1998.
Railways 29 March1880 – line between Newmarket and Waikumete (Glen Eden) has been finished and open for traffic. Along the length of the line there were six stations; Mt Eden, Kingsland, Mt Albert, Avondale, New Lynn and Glen Eden., five roads bridges, seven railway bridges and about forty crossings. 1881 – Arrival of the railway at Henderson’s Mill. 18 July 1881 – The line to Kumeu completed. (Kumeu to Helensville completed in 1875) The first passenger train to run between Auckland and Henderson did so on 17 March 1881, a special train carrying patrons to the annual Henderson’s Mill, St Patrick Day race meeting. 1890 – A passenger platform built at Henderson 1905 – Henderson became an official railway station. 1912 – Henderson Railway Station built.
Henderson Racecourse 1858-1876 – Henderson’s first racecourse built (where the Methodist Chapel is on the corner of Lincoln, Swanson and Great North Roads).
1888 – The last licensed race meeting was held at Henderson’s Mills Racecourse, (located where Henderson High School is today)