Tui Glen, Henderson 1925 – Registered in 1925 as New Zealand’s first camping ground, Tui Glen had been purchased in 1912 by Claude Brookes, a successful engineer. His family worked for several years to clear the land, landscaping, planting trees and shrubs. The first holiday cabin was installed in 1921. Throughout the 1920s playgrounds were built, hire boats brought in, fireplaces installed. By 1930 Tui Glen had become one of Auckland’s major attractions and among the finest picnic and camping areas in NZ.
1945 – Tui Glen passed over to a company Tui Glen Ltd. 1963 – Henderson Borough Council took over the running of the camp. 2002 – Waitakere City Council closed down Tui Glen as a camp ground.
Churches The spiritual needs of the people prior to 1889 were attended to by Ministers and Lay preachers who travelled from Auckland. The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel opened on Christmas Day, 1889 and was the first church to be constructed in the Henderson Township. St Michael’s Anglican Church built in 1914. The original church was moved back to allow the building of a new Anglican Church in 1962. In 1997 the old church was moved to The Corban Estate Arts Centre.
Bridges 1911 - The Coronation Bridge was opened on the same day as George the Fifth was crowned, 22 August, 1911. 1948 – The Opanuku Bridge was built alongside the Coronation Bridge on Great North Road. 1978 – Opanuku Bridge extended and widened.
Buildings 1909 – Assisd Corban built the wine depot at the top of Great North Rd. The depot was used to sell wine from the Corban winery. The no-license boundary ran along the railway line so the depot was able to be used until later boundary changes closed it. 1924 – The first police station opened with one policeman.
1924 – A fire destroyed the town hall, built about 1896. A new Town Hall was built in 1927, which also burned down in July 1967. By then the Town Hall was the Civic picture theatre. 1932 – Steve Ozich built the first block of shops in Station Road opposite the railway station. These were occupied by a chemist, hairdresser, bootmaker and billiard saloon. The second set of shops was also built by Steve Ozich along Great North Road (Williams Corner) in 1956.
1934 -The New Zealand Broadcasting Service transmitter building was built in Selwood Road, Henderson 1953 – Henderson High School opened. 1960’s – Waitakere Obstetric Hospital followed by the Geriatric Unit (1970’s) and the Mental Health unit, (1980’s) 1970’s – John Henry Centre built 1983 – Waitemata City Council Civic Centre built (Waitakere City Council after amalgamation in 1989) 1985 – Lincoln Green Hotel and Conference Centre 1987 – Western Area Police Station built