1989 – Henderson swimming Pool built by the Henderson Borough Council for the 1990 Commonwealth Games held in Auckland. Major renovations and extensions were completed in 2003 2001 – Unitec establishes its Waitakere campus in Ratanui St, Henderson 2004 – Trusts Stadium in Central Park Drive 2003 – The first apartment block in the Waitakere Gardens Retirement complex open. Building has been ongoing with the final apartments to be added opening sometime in 2006. 2004 – Mitre 10 Mega and Lincoln Pak N Save stores opened on Lincoln Road. 2003-2005 – Waitakere Hospital extended, and upgraded to become a full working hospital 2006 – Joint Waitakere Libraries and Unitec building completed. 2006 – Waitakere Central (Waitakere City Council civic building) on Henderson Valley Road opens July 2006.
Logging – Waitakere Ranges The first exports of timber from the Waitakere began in 1836 when Thomas Mitchell shipped from Cornwallis on the northern shore of the Manukau Harbour to Australia. Scottish immigrants settled Cornwallis in the 1840’s, intending it to become the major centre of the Auckland isthmus. New Zealand’s first steam powered mill was built at Duncan Bay by the Cornwallis settlers in 1842. Once all the timber in the more accessible coastal areas had been harvested, a second stage of working the more rugged inland areas began. The most significant milling operation was that of Thomas Henderson which processed a huge amount of timber from the ranges. It’s estimated that Henderson’s Mill cut 45 million superfeet of timber between 1849 and 1868. The forest around Swanson was being worked by the 1850’s by William Swanson. He did not establish a mill there, but drove logs downstream to tidal waters below Birdwood and from there by raft to Auckland. The first sawmill at Swanson was built by Ebeneezer Gibbons in 1885, and operated ti 1888. By the 1870’s, steam powered tramways were used to haul logs to the timber mills which had been established at Huia, Whatipu and Karekare.
Vineyards, Wineries and Orchards Corbans Winery Assid Abraham Corban migrated from Lebanon to New Zealand in 1892 and set up the first west Auckland winery and vineyards in Henderson in 1902. By 1974 Corbans held two million gallons of wine stored at its Henderson winery. The Corban family owned the winery until 1972 when Rothmans purchased 25% of the company. By 1975 Rothmans owned 78 %, eventually buying out the ownership of AA Corban and Sons Ltd. The Corban family have long been associated with West Auckland and many descendants still live in the Henderson area. The wine cellar at Corbans was built in 1907and is the oldest industrial building in Henderson. The Corban homestead on the Corban Estate was built by Assid Abraham Corban in 1923. The Corban family home at 56 Sturges Road was started in 1930 but not completed until the late 1930’s.
Vineyards and Wineries in the Henderson area Babich Wines – established 1916 Babich Rd, Henderson Balich Estate Wines – established 1912, Sturges Rd, Henderson