X hits on this document

PDF document

A brief history of Henderson - page 7 / 7

22 views

0 shares

0 downloads

0 comments

7 / 7

November 1989 – Amalgamation of West Auckland Councils. Waitemata City Council, New Lynn Borough Council, Glen Eden Borough Council and Henderson Borough Council amalgamated to form Waitakere City Council. This came about as a Government initiated reform of the concept of local government in December 1987. The purpose of amalgamation was to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of local government. The amalgamated areas would consist of four wards – Henderson, New Lynn, Massey and Waitakere.

Other interesting information Fire Brigade - The first Henderson volunteer fire brigade was formed in 1926, It lasted a few months. In 1929 the present brigade was formed, but it wasn’t until March1932 that the first appliance was purchased (a 1916 Chase, from the Newmarket Fire Brigade)

Waitemata Electric Power Board – constituted in 1924.

Prior to 1922 the nearest Doctor was in Auckland and later Avondale. The first Doctor in Henderson was based in Lincoln Road, 1922. Another Doctor was listed by 1927.

The 1927 telephone list was: 3 general stores, 2 butchers, 4 carriers, 1 motor garage, 1 draper and tailor, 1 dentist, 2 land agents, 1 chemist, 1 vet, 2 doctors.

The first bus service to Auckland was begun in 1928 and until the concrete road (Great North Rd was completed had to run through Glen Eden.

Henderson’s first permanent policeman was appointed in 1924. Prior to this the nearest policeman was at Avondale.

Document info
Document views22
Page views23
Page last viewedThu Oct 27 17:35:49 UTC 2016
Pages7
Paragraphs53
Words2710

Comments