X hits on this document





6 / 115

On cross-examination, Officer Krayniak testified that later on the day of the killing, he helped prepare an affidavit for a search warrant and reviewed it before it was presented to the judge.  The affidavit, signed by Investigator Harris, stated that Krayniak had brought the bubble shield to the police department, where Harris examined it.  Krayniak testified, however, that that statement was erroneous; he gave Harris the shield at the pharmacy, not at the police department.  

Investigator Harris testified he received the bubble shield and liner from Officer Krayniak at the pharmacy about 2:30 p.m.  He took the shield back to police headquarters shortly after 3:45 p.m. and gave it to Joseph Downs, a police fingerprint technician.  Downs confirmed that Harris had given him the shield, in a brown paper bag, at 3:30 or 3:45 p.m.  

Downs found that a latent fingerprint lifted from the inside of the shield matched an exemplar of defendant’s left middle finger.  The identification was verified by fingerprint experts for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and the Los Angeles Police Department.

The bubble shield, which was designed to snap onto a helmet, had small amounts of blue paint on its snaps.  Pasadena Police Officer John Knebel, who had arrested defendant on unrelated charges in May 1980, testified that at that time defendant was wearing a motorcycle helmet whose blue color matched that on the shield snaps.

Pat Booker, who had been living with defendant for several years in the period before the crime, testified that defendant had owned a motorcycle and a helmet with a bubble shield attached, and that he had at some point spray painted the helmet, as well as the motorcycle gas tank, blue.  The painting was done outside the rear stairwell of their apartment building, near a metal post set in concrete.  The top of the post was covered in blue paint, which Officer Knebel

Document info
Document views527
Page views527
Page last viewedThu Jan 19 21:56:49 UTC 2017