X hits on this document





25 / 48

If you need financial help to pay for the costs of attending Barstow College, the Financial Aid Office, located in the Administration Building, can offer assistance. Types of assistance include:

  • Grants and scholarship (money you do not


  • Enrollment fee waiver

  • Work study employment

Who is eligible? All students must reapply for Financial Aid each academic year. Awards are not renewed automat- ically. In order to receive financial assistance, a student must meet certain requirements, such as:

  • Have “financial need” as determined by fed- eral standards.

  • Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

  • Be enrolled in a degree, certificate or trans- fer program at BCC.

  • Have a high school diploma or GED, or pass an “Ability to Benefit” test.

  • If male, be registered with the Selective Service if required by law.

  • Complete a full application for financial aid, using a name that exactly matches your Social Security card.

  • Not be in default on a student loan or owe repayment on a former grant.

How do I apply? Students who want to be considered for any state or federal financial aid should apply as soon as possible by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is available in paper and electronic formats. You can get the paper version from the Financial Aid Office. FAFSA processing takes approximately 6- 8 weeks.

Financial Assistance

Apply as soon as possible!

If you prefer, you can fill out a web-based version of the FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov (step-by-step instructions are provided on this site). FAFSA on the Web offers several benefits, including:

  • You will get your Student Aid Report (SAR) sooner than with the paper form.

  • Your FAFSA will be more accurate than a paper application, since the FAFSA on the Web has built-in edit checks to catch simple errors and you avoid errors introduced by the OCR process.

What types of assistance might I receive?

  • Federal Pell Grant—$3,674* a year

  • SEOG—up to $400* a year

  • BOGG—waiver of enrollment fees for eligi- ble students

  • Cal Grant B—up to $1,551* for two semes- ters

  • Cal Grant C—up to $576* for tools, books, and supplies

  • Federal Work Study—campus jobs for eligi- ble students

*Amount subject to annual change

Can I apply for just a fee waiver? Yes. The BOGW (Board of Governors’ Fee Waiver) involves a short application and can be processed almost immediately. You are eligible if you meet certain low income standards or are receiving public assistance. For additional grants, you must complete the FAFSA.


Document info
Document views159
Page views159
Page last viewedSun Jan 22 00:10:50 UTC 2017