X hits on this document





28 / 48

Counseling Barstow College offers comprehensive counseling services to assist students in meeting educational, vocational and personal goals. Every student should meet with a counselor early to plan a course of study. Each new, matriculated student must see a counselor in order to register and enroll.

BCC counselors offer extensive academic advise- ment, including educational plans, transfer advisement, degree and certificate evaluation, assessment score interpretation, interpretation of institutional academic policies, academic and progress probation counseling and career coun- seling.

Counseling is available on a walk-in or appoint- ment basis. Call 252-2411 x7236 for an appoint- ment.

In addition, the following courses help students choose their career paths and become successful college students: Orientation 1—College Success and Psychology 5—Career and Life Planning. All students are strongly encouraged to take these classes early in their college experience.

Disabled Student Programs

& Services (DSPS) A variety of individualized support services are available for students who have physical or learn- ing disabilities and for students with temporary disabilities due to injury or surgery.

For more information, visit the DSPS Office or call x7225. The DSPS Office is located behind the cafeteria across from the Viking Shop.


Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)/Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education

(CARE) EOPS is a state-funded program that provides special services and assistance to educationally and economically disadvantaged students. Services include a summer readiness program, priority registration, counseling, peer advising, financial assistance and other supportive assis- tance.

The CARE program is an affiliate program of EOPS. CARE benefits are available to students who have been on public assistance for one year, are single heads of household, have a child under fourteen years of age and are admitted into the EOPS program.

Students must enroll in 12 units, be a California resident for one year or more or active duty mili- tary and provide assessment scores. Contact the EOPS Office for eligibility criteria and an applica- tion at x7255 or x7201.

Financial Aid See Financial Assistance on pages 25-26.

Food Service The Viking Shop sells a variety of snacks and drinks, and there are soda vending machines located in the Science and Business buildings. Papa G’s in the cafeteria offers a variety of meals.

Housing BCC does not maintain student housing.

Learning Disabled Students Individualized assistance is available to students with documented learning disabilities. Diagnostic testing is available for students who have not been previously diagnosed. Call 252-2411 x7225 for more information.

Document info
Document views153
Page views153
Page last viewedSat Jan 21 06:17:30 UTC 2017