X hits on this document





34 / 48

Academic Policies

Academic Probation

and Dismissal (BP 4250) Barstow College Policy 4250 explains specific aca- demic expectations for each student. Students should become familiar with the Policy and the rights and responsibilities of both the student and the College.

To be making satisfactory progress, you must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0. What this means is that you must receive grades of C in all of your courses, or that the grades that you receive must average out to at least a 2.0. Students whose records show a minimum 2.0 GPA or better are considered to be "in good standing."

Students who fail to maintain satisfactory progress are placed on academic or progress pro- bation and may be dismissed.

You will be placed on academic probation if your cumulative GPA for all units attempted is less than a 2.0. This includes college credit that you may have transferred in from another college or university. You will be removed from academic probation status once your cumulative GPA is 2.0 or better.

You will be placed on progress probation if you have completed at least 12 units and half of all the units that are noted on your permanent academic record are grades of W, I and NC. In other words, more than half of the grades you receive must be A, B, C, D or F. If you receive too many units of D or F grades, then you may be removed from progress probation, but placed on academic pro- bation.

If you are on either academic probation or progress probation (or any combination of the two) for three consecutive semesters, you may be dismissed from the college. Once dismissed, you may not attend the college for one semester.

You may appeal your dismissal through the Scholastic Standards Committee. Appeal forms are available from the Student Services Office. You will be notified in writing as to the disposi-


tion of your appeal, and of any conditions applied. The Scholastic Standards Committee's decision can be appealed to the Vice President of Student Services, whose decision shall be final, subject only to review by the President.

Academic Renewal (BP 4240) Besides repeating a course, another way of elimi- nating the negative effects that D or F grades have on your grade point average is to apply for aca- demic renewal. Substandard course work will be disregarded in the computation of your BCC grade point average for graduation purposes only. The guidelines are as follows:

  • 1.

    You may request academic renewal for up to two semesters by completing a petition available from your counselor.

  • 3.

    Since the semester(s) in question, you must have completed at least 10 semester units of "C" or better work without NC, D, or F grades.

  • 4.

    There must have been a period of at least twelve (12) months elapsed between the period for which forgiveness is petitioned and the time of submission of the petition.

  • 5.

    Once a forgiveness has been granted, you are not eligible for any further consideration under academic renewal.

  • 6.

    In any period forgiven, all course work is canceled for purposes of grade point calcu- lation and unit earnings, whether passed or not. Courses passed satisfactorily may be used for meeting the requirements in gener- al education, certificate or major area, even though the units are excluded from all cal- culations.

  • 7.

    Academic renewal at Barstow College does not guarantee that other institutions outside the District will approve such action. This determination will be made by the respec- tive transfer institution.

  • 8.

    Action taken under this regulation will not remove the courses, units, grades or any other information from the official tran- script. All work will remain legible in the permanent record to ensure a true and com- plete academic history.

Document info
Document views152
Page views152
Page last viewedSat Jan 21 02:18:15 UTC 2017