X hits on this document





11 / 152

through the cooperation of the program sponsor. Size and scope of facilities vary with the size of the program.

Program Offerings/Program Operations

ProfEd delivers CMU’s undergraduate and graduate degrees in Michigan, and degree and certificate programs in other states, Canada and Mexico. Some degree programs are available through CMU Online. Undergraduate degrees lead to a bachelor of science degree with an option in community development or a major in administration, or a bachelor of science degree with a major in vehicle design, a bachelor of applied arts degree with a major in administration, a bachelor of science in education de- gree with elementary emphasis or a bachelor of science degree in information technology. Students may use a combination of transfer credit, prior learning credit, online courses, and on-site classes available at program locations to complete their bacca- laureate degrees.

At the graduate level, studies lead to a master of science in administration degree; a master of arts degree in counseling, edu- cation, educational technology, humanities, reading and literacy K-12, or school principalship; a master of public administration; a specialist in education; a doctor of audiology degree, or a doctor of health administration. In addition, graduate certificates are of- fered in acquisitions administration, general administration, health services administration, hospitality and tourism administration, hu- man resources administration, information resource management, international administration, leadership, long-term care administra- tion, public administration, software engineering administration, and vehicle design and manufacturing administration.

At some locations, the cohort or group format is used to deliver programs. In a cohort format, students proceed through the pro- gram as a unit, beginning and ending coursework together. Many cohorts are sponsored by a particular organization or group of organizations, which may select the students or may allow par- ticipants to be self-selected. Cohorts are typically offered on site at a location chosen by the sponsor. Some CMU program centers offer the cohort format on a recurring basis to individual students, whenever a sufficient number sign up to pursue the degree or certificate as a group.

Mini-cohorts are sometimes formed to provide a concentration to a group of students at a CMU center where demand is not sufficient to warrant offering the concentration on an ongoing basis. In a mini-cohort, a group of individual students agrees to enroll in and complete the concentration courses as a unit. Stu- dents can intersperse core courses with the cohort concentration courses when possible and/or finish their degree by taking core courses on an individual basis after their concentration courses are complete.

In addition to the doctoral degrees, master’s degrees, under- graduate degrees, and certificates available through Off-Campus Programs, credit-bearing in-service opportunities as well as classes designed to help professionals meet certification require- ments, primarily in the education field, are also provided. Courses are offered throughout Michigan in elementary education, second- ary education, counselor education and educational administra- tion and community leadership. These courses are designated as credit courses, and are delivered with the permission of the department (i.e., elementary and secondary education courses are coordinated with the Teacher Education and Professional Development Department).

Programs and course formats in the degree, certificate, and credit course areas are designed to meet the needs of adult students with compressed formats, night and weekend classes, and a nationally



recognized off-campus library program. Academic advisors work closely with students to develop their individual program plans and reach their educational goals.

Central Michigan University will do everything within reason to help students meet their educational goals in the unforeseen event of a program closing or of a military location becoming permanently closed to civilian students. CMU is committed to helping students finish their educational programs should either of the above situations arise.

General Residency Policy

All courses offered through ProfEd carry Central Michigan Uni- versity credit, regardless of the geographic location where they may be offered, and on-campus instruction is not required for degree or certificate completion. To fulfill degree requirements, an undergraduate student must successfully complete at least 30 semester hours of university residence credit through on-campus and/or off-campus experiences. To fulfill graduate certificate requirements, a graduate student must successfully complete at least nine semester hours through the same alternatives. A graduate degree student must successfully complete at least 18 semester hours (MSA) or 15 semester hours (MA) through the same alternatives. Correspondence course credits, CLEP credit and hours earned by Credit by Examination may not be applied to meet any of the hours required in residence.

Students Who Move

A graduate degree student who has completed 21 or more se- mester hours of work with CMU and who has moved away from a center may be able to complete her or his degree program as an isolated student through CMU Online. It is most preferable for the student to maintain contact with the original advisor who can recommend courses through CMU Online or from other institu- tions which may be used as part of the CMU degree program. If a student is not able to maintain contact with the advisor, he or she may be assigned to a Mount Pleasant-based advisor for isolated students. Such a student should write directly to the program center and send a copy of her or his tentative program plan and other relevant materials.

The graduate degree student who moves from one program center to another and has completed 21 or more semester hours of work should maintain contact with the original advisor in order to determine which courses should be taken to complete the degree.

The graduate certificate student who has completed at least 9 semester hours of work with CMU should maintain contact with the original advisor in order to determine which courses should be taken to complete certificate requirements.

The undergraduate student who moves from one program center to another should meet with the new academic advisor to review her or his program plan. If the undergraduate student has less than 20 credits to complete, he or she may wish to maintain contact with the original academic advisor.

Document info
Document views850
Page views850
Page last viewedSun Jan 22 17:04:23 UTC 2017