X hits on this document





14 / 152



Regular Admission: Applicants holding a baccalaureate or equivalent degree from a college or university of recognized standing (recognized at the time the student attended) may be granted regular admission to a graduate degree or certificate program, provided they have established an acceptable record of general scholarship (normally an overall cumulative undergraduate grade point average of at least 2.7, or optionally, 3.0 in the final sixty semester hours of graded coursework toward the bachelor’s degree). At least 60 hours of undergraduate coursework must be graded to allow grade point average calculation). Additionally, ap- plicants must meet the admission requirements of the department in which they wish to concentrate graduate study.

Conditional Admission: The university may grant conditional admission to an applicant who holds a four-year baccalaureate or equivalent degree from a regionally accredited college or university or from one of recognized standing but who does not meet all the requirements for regular admission. If a student has a slightly deficient undergraduate grade point average, the student may be granted conditional admission with the understanding that the student must maintain an acceptable level of scholarship in a specified number of CMU graduate credit hours.

Conditional admission to graduate study, even when ac- companied by assignment to an academic advisor, does not constitute final admission. You are considered to be admitted only when regular admission status has been granted.

Provisional Admission: Frequently students apply to the graduate college during their senior year, with the understand- ing that they will complete the baccalaureate prior to beginning graduate studies. When these students are accepted into graduate school—be it regular, conditional, or nondegree admission—they are granted provisional admission, contingent upon providing ProfEd with a final transcript showing completion of the four-year baccalaureate degree. It is the student’s responsibility to notify ProfEd when he or she has completed the undergraduate degree requirements and to request that the registrar at the college or university issuing the diploma send an official copy of the final transcript showing the degree earned. One transcript must be sent from the registrar directly to ProfEd. A final decision relative to the applicant’s admission will be made and the student will be notified of the decision following receipt of the foregoing materi- als by ProfEd.

In some departments, a student who presents an unofficial transcript or unofficial test scores may be granted provisional admission pending receipt of official documents. It is the student’s responsibility to arrange for the official documents to be sent to ProfEd.

A student with provisional admission may register for up to six semester hours pending receipt of the necessary documents. If the student fails to produce the required documents—proof of degree and official transcripts—the admission will be converted to a denial and the student may be removed from classes.

Nondegree Admission: Students who hold a four-year bac- calaureate or equivalent degree from a regionally accredited col- lege or university or from one of recognized standing are granted nondegree admission while their application materials are being evaluated. No more than six credit hours of classes may be taken while a student has nondegree status.

Concurrent Admission: See “Concurrent Enrollment as a Central Michigan University Graduating Senior” on the preced- ing page.

International Student Admission

International applicants, both graduate applicants who have a four-year baccalaureate or equivalent degree from an institution outside of the United States and undergraduate applicants, cannot take courses until regular or conditional admission is granted. They must meet the same admission standards as other students and are responsible for providing all information

requested. International applicants should submit their application form, appropriate fee and required documentation six weeks prior to the term they plan to enroll. Applicants born outside the U.S. must provide proof of naturalization, permanent resident card, visa, or passport.

Once admitted, students who are not U.S. citizens or resident aliens but living in the United States should understand enrollment in the off-campus programs may not satisfy visa requirements, and admission to ProfEd will not qualify them to receive an I-20 from Central Michigan University. Students who are not citizens or resident aliens but living in the United States may be required to provide evidence of financial responsibility, a medical history report, and evidence of being covered by an adequate health and accident insurance policy.

Undergraduate. International students seeking undergraduate admission should complete the admission application form and submit it with the appropriate application fee. In addition, interna- tional students must provide the following information:

  • 1.

    Official transcripts from all secondary and post-secondary institutions, translated into English. Previous academic work must demonstrate appropriate readiness for academic suc- cess in the chosen academic program.

  • 2.

    Submit one official copy of a transcript of any credits earned at an American college or university. Demonstrating English Proficiency at the Undergraduate

Level. International students whose native language is not English must demonstrate their English language proficiency by ONE of the following methods:

  • 1.

    Achieve a satisfactory score on the following test: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) administered in various countries and the United States by the Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151. A minimum score of 550 (paper version) or 213 (computer version) or 79 (In- ternet-based) is required for regular admission. Conditional admission may be granted by the Vice President/Executive Director of ProfEd for a TOEFL score between 500 and 549 (173 – 210 computer version). A written explanation as to why the student should be granted conditional admission must be submitted by the student. TOEFL scores should be reported to the admissions specialist in ProfEd.

  • 2.

    Satisfactory completion in a course of study (e.g., high school diploma or baccalaureate degree) where the language of instruction is English.

  • 3.

    Successful completion (GPA of a 2.7 on a 4.0 scale, or its equivalent) of at least 24 credit hours of work in a recognized undergraduate program where the language of instruction was English.

Graduate. International applicants seeking graduate admission must:

  • 1.

    Provide evidence they have received a four-year bacca- laureate or equivalent degree from a college or university outside the United States. Evidence includes an official copy of certificates, diplomas, degrees, and academic records of study at colleges and universities in another country, accom- panied by certified literal English translations of non-English documents.

  • 2.

    Submit one official copy of a transcript of any credits earned at another American college or university.

  • 3.

    Have established an acceptable undergraduate record of general scholarship (normally an overall cumulative under- graduate grade point average of 2.7, or optionally, 3.0 in the final 60 hours of graded coursework toward the bachelor’s degree).

Those who do not have these credentials should discuss their situation with an academic advisor immediately. The academic advisor may need to consult with the campus before determining what further steps should be taken. Students who

Document info
Document views801
Page views801
Page last viewedThu Jan 19 15:05:56 UTC 2017