X hits on this document





25 / 152

can contact OCLS and the Document Delivery Office will obtain a full-text copy of the item, obtain one semester’s worth of copy- right clearance to use the item, and then upload it directly into the instructor’s Blackboard course shell.

Through the Off-Campus Library Services department, students and faculty have access to a very responsive and very focused suite of library services, as well as to millions of print, electronic, and media items. All students and faculty participating in off- campus and online courses are encouraged to take advantage of this nationally-recognized, full-service library program. For more information, see the OCLS web site at ocls.cmich.edu or call 800-274-3838.

Career Services and Resource Center

Career Services is located in the Bovee University Center, 989- 774-3068, and offers students assistance with job search activi- ties. The office helps students with developing sound job-seeking skills, writing resumes, and interviewing techniques. Students can register for an online resume referral service through www.careers. cmich.edu (Career Service’s Web site). An extensive career resource center is provided for use by all students and alumni who live near or visit the Mount Pleasant area. The resource center contains general career information, tips for seeking jobs, vacancy listings from a variety of sources, and information about potential employers in business, government, and education. For those students and alumni who do not live in the Mount Pleasant area, you can access most of this information through the Career Services Web site.

The center also coordinates on-campus recruiting by businesses, government agencies, and educational institutions and serves as a clearinghouse for employment opportunities through publication of a weekly vacancy Bulletin.

NOTE: The center does not guarantee employment for gradu- ates.

Transfer Credit

All transcripts and other documents received by the university become the property of the university and will not be released. Copies will not be made for other than university use.

Options for Earning Credit

Undergraduate Transfer Credit

Courses from other colleges will be considered for transfer credit if they meet the policy outlined below. At least 60 semester hours of the student’s bachelor’s degree academic requirements must be earned at a fully accredited, four-year, degree-granting institu- tion like Central Michigan University, or from a foreign university or college approved by the government or the official agency of the country in which the university or college is located. Credit earned at other institutions is automatically evaluated when a student is granted regular admission status. In some cases, the evaluation of transfer credit may require that you obtain course descriptions for courses taken more than 10 years ago from out- of-state institutions before your transfer credit can be evaluated. Evaluation begins after all official transcripts have been received. Results of transfer credit evaluation will be sent to the student. It is the student’s responsibility to consult with the academic advisor who determines which credits may appropriately be applied to that student’s degree program. Coursework not eligible for transfer credit may be considered for prior learning assessment credit.

A student may not apply more than 94 semester hours of credit from any combination of the following sources:

  • a.

    Transfer credit

  • b.

    Prior learning assessment credit

Academic Information


  • c.

    College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or the university’s Credit by Examination Program

  • d.

    United States Armed Forces credit

  • e.

    As assessed on an individual case basis, any other credit earned through standard testing or evaluation procedures.

  • I.

    Transfers from accredited schools and foreign institutions Undergraduate courses from another college or university which is accredited by one of the regional institutional accredit- ing bodies, or from a foreign university or college approved by the government or the official agency of the country in which the university or college is located, will be considered for transfer credit at Central Michigan University, subject to the following conditions:

    • a.

      Courses must be germane to a program at Central Michi- gan University.

    • b.

      Transferable courses completed with a grade of C- or better or the equivalent must be accepted.

    • c.

      Credits from foreign institutions will be accepted using the guidelines developed by the World Education Series of the American Association of College Registrars and Admissions Officers and in consultation with affected departments.

    • d.

      Grades and honor or quality points are not transferable to or recorded on the CMU permanent record.

    • e.

      Applicability of transfer coursework to a student’s program plan is at the discretion of the academic advisor with ap- proval by the appropriate academic unit.

  • II.

    Transfers from nonaccredited schools. A student who has earned credit or a baccalaureate degree from an institution which is not accredited by one of the regional accrediting asso- ciations may appeal to the Board of Appeals who may consult with the individual departments for an exception to the above policy for up to a maximum of 62 credits. If a positive decision results, transfer credit may then be granted subject to the same conditions that apply to transfers from accredited schools. For undergraduate transfer credit from another university to be considered for acceptance while an undergraduate student is currently enrolled in Off-Campus Programs, the student must:

    • a.

      Consult with the academic advisor to determine whether the course would likely be appropriate to the program plan. Consultation does not guarantee acceptance of the credit as the guidelines, described above, must also be satis- fied.

    • b.

      Upon completion of the work, request that the institution awarding the credit send one official transcript to ProfEd.

  • III.

    Exceptions. Academic units may request an exception to the Regional Accreditation Policy from the Degrees, Admissions, Standards, and Honors Committee.

  • IV.

    Military training and experience.

    • a.

      Military service school experiences. Granting of aca- demic credit for military service school experiences will be guided by the evaluations prepared by the American Council on Education and published in the “Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Ser- vices.” All Military Service School experiences that are recommended for undergraduate level credit will transfer to Central Michigan University. Acceptability of credit for military service school experiences to fulfill CMU major or minor requirements is at the discretion of the individual department.

    • b.

      Military occupational specialties. Granting of academic credit for military occupational specialties will be guided by the evaluations prepared by the American Council on (continued)

Document info
Document views754
Page views754
Page last viewedMon Jan 16 14:04:44 UTC 2017