X hits on this document





26 / 152


Academic Information

Education and published in the “Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.” All Military Occupational Specialties that are recommended for undergraduate level credit will transfer to Central Michigan University. Acceptability of credit for military occupational specialties to fulfill CMU major or minor requirements is at the discretion of the individual department.

    • c.

      Service Member Opportunity College (SOC) courses. Undergraduate courses from another college or univer- sity that is recognized as a Service Member Opportunity College institution for either the army (SOCAD), navy (SOCNAV), or marine corps (SOCMAR) may transfer to Central Michigan University subject to the following condi- tions: a) transferable courses completed with a grade of C- or better or the equivalent must be accepted; b) grades and honor points or quality points are not transferable to or recorded on the CMU permanent record. The Program Plan is a record of all of the student’s credit (including military experience) and where that learning fits into her or his degree plan.

  • V.

    Nonmilitary training experiences. Granting of academic credit for selected training experiences offered outside the sponsorship of colleges and universities will be guided by the evaluations prepared by the American Council on Education College Credit Recommendation Service (CCRS) program. CCRS credit recommendations appear in the publication entitled: The National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs. Students must provide an official transcript from the Registry of Credit Recommendations American Council on Education, 202-939-9434. The MACRAO Articulation Agreement: Astudent who transfers

from a community college in Michigan with a transcript docu- mented as having satisfied the Michigan Association of College Registrars and Admissions Officers Agreement, will also have satisfied the University Program portion of the General Education Requirements of this Bulletin. Other students should see the gen- eral education requirements section of this or the undergraduate Bulletin they are following for guidelines on the applicability of their transfer credit toward University Program requirements.

International Baccalaureate Credit: Courses within the Interna- tional Baccalaureate Diploma and the International Baccalaureate Certificate for individual courses may be accepted as transfer credit on a course-by-course basis if the higher level examinations have been passed with a score of four or better.

Graduate Transfer Credit Policy Transferable credit:

  • Graduate Certificate: maximum of 6 semester hours. Cours- es used on previous graduate degrees or certificates may not be counted toward a graduate certificate.

  • Master’s Degree: maximum of 50% of the semester hours (Exception: maximum of 30 semester hours on the 54-credit hour joint master’s degree in history are transferable.)

  • Specialist’s Degree: maximum of 12 semester hours beyond the master’s degree if the master’s degree was earned at CMU. (Exception: maximum of 8 semester hours beyond the master’s degree if the degree was not earned at CMU.)

  • Doctoral Degree: maximum of 50% of the post-baccalaureate semester hours. Minimum percentage that must be earned at CMU can vary amongst academic programs.

  • Maximum of 6 semester hours may be transferred from one earned degree to another master’s or higher degree program.

  • Military coursework: coursework with a grade of outstanding or excellent is transferable.

A separate policy exists for the following: Students entering the Au.D. with a master’s degree in Audiology and significant, relevant professional experience. See the Au.D. program description for details. Students in California are limited to six semester hours or prior learning credit according to California regulations. The ACE Guide is consulted, and its recommendations are generally, but not always followed. Coursework which is not transferable may be considered for prior learning credit.

Graduate transfer credits must be appropriate to the student’s program, recommended by the student’s academic advisor for use on the program plan, and approved by the Dean of the Col- lege of Graduate Studies. Transfer credits are not considered in the computation of the student’s graduate grade point average. Graduate transfer credit must meet the following criteria:


Credits must have been earned at a regionally accredited higher education institution or one of recognized standing (at the time the credits were earned) as defined by the College of Graduate Studies.

  • 2.

    The credits are not in violation of any pertinent university or College of Graduate Studies regulation, procedure, or policy;

  • 3.

    The credits do not correspond to a course previously taken at CMU;

  • 4.

    The credits were earned within the time limit for program completion. Credits from a prior graduate degree or certificate that are to be applied to a doctoral degree may be exempt for the time limit for doctoral degree completion (see individual program description);

  • 5.

    The credits are appropriate to the student’s program and are not in conflict with credit limitation specified elsewhere in the Graduate Bulletin;

  • 6.

    As certified on the official graduate transcript, courses must be at the graduate level.

  • 7.

    The grade for the credits must be B or higher. Ungraded course work will not be accepted in transfer unless ac- companied by evidence that the work was of B or higher quality. Military coursework with a grade of outstanding or excellent is transferable. At the discretion of the department, coursework that is not transferable may be considered for prior learning credit.

  • 8.

    The student is in good standing (cumulative graduate GPA of 3.0 or higher) at the institution at which the credit was earned.


Doctoral degree students must have regular admission to their degree program;


. The student is responsible for having official graduate tran-

scripts sent by the institution at which the credit was earned directly to the Graduate Student Services office of the College of Graduate Studies at CMU and for completing the most recent version of the Graduate Transfer Credit Request form (www.grad.cmich.edu/forms.htm).

  • 11.

    The credits must be approved by the student’s academic advisor (for graduate certificates and Master’s degrees) or Program Director (doctoral degrees) and the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies.

  • 12.

    Courses earned by correspondence are not eligible for gradu- ate transfer credit.

  • 13.

    Transfer credits must be earned within the time limit for program completion. Transfer credits are not eligible for extension of time consideration. Transfer credits are not included in the computation of the

student’s CMU graduate grade point average. Exceptions to any aspect of this policy will be considered only in extraordinary circumstances and will be granted at the discretion of the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies.

Document info
Document views752
Page views752
Page last viewedMon Jan 16 13:25:38 UTC 2017