X hits on this document





32 / 152


Academic Policies and Procedures

Duration of Admission Status: Time for Completion of Degree

After admission to a graduate program of study, students are expected to complete degree or certificate requirements in a re- sponsible and timely manner. For full-time students, two calendar years should be adequate for the completion of most master’s degree programs; five calendar years should be adequate for the complete of most doctoral programs. Part-time students may need a somewhat longer period to meet these requirements, but in all instances, coursework and other requirements must be completed within the following time limitations: (a) Graduate Certificate: within four years; (b) Master’s or Specialist’s degrees: within seven years; (c) Doctoral Degrees: within eight years if the student had a relevant graduate degree when beginning the program OR within ten years if the student began doctoral study without a relevant prior graduate degree.

Extension of Time Requests

Extension of time requests are serious and approval by the advi- sor and department do not guarantee approval by the College of Graduate Studies. Extension of time to complete a degree or cer- tificate are rarely granted and only considered if there are clearly extenuating circumstances. Typically “life” events (employment changes, responsibilities, or promotions, marriage and births) do not count as extenuating circumstances. Students must demon- strate the following for their requests to be considered by the Col- lege of Graduate Studies: compelling extenuating circumstances, current knowledge in the subject matter they wish to extend, and steady progress toward the certificate or degree. Students that have not been enrolled at CMU for more than two years are not making steady progress. Transfer credit is not eligible for exten- sion consideration. Extension requests are limited to a one time request of twelve to eighteen months. If an extension is granted, a second extension is highly unlikely and students should plan accordingly. Extension of time request forms are available on the College of Graduate Studies website: www.grad.cmich.edu.

Grading Policies

(for both undergraduate and graduate students) Incomplete Grade (I)

The Incomplete (I) is a temporary grade used by the instructor in cases when a student is unable to complete course requirements because of illness or other justifiable circumstances. It is assigned only in cases in which the student has completed satisfactorily the major portion of the course requirements and has convinced the instructor of her or his ability to complete the remaining work without reregistering for the course. It is not to be given to a student who is already doing failing work. A form must be completed and signed by the faculty member (and the student, when possible) whenever a grade of I is assigned. An instructor who assigns a grade of (I) also submits a Report of Incomplete or Deferred Grade Form stating requirements to be satisfied for removal of the Incomplete grade. A copy of the statement of requirements, including deadlines for their completion, shall be made available to the student.

It is the student’s responsibility to contact the instructor to make arrangements for completing the remaining work. The length of time within which an (I) must be removed is determined by the instructor, but in no case later than one calendar year following the receipt of the (I). A student not completing the remaining work by the end of one calendar year following the receipt of an (I) would retain an (I) only if the instructor chooses not to change the (I) to a specific grade ranging from A to E by the end of the calendar year. An (I) may not be removed by registering again for the course.

If the instructor of the class in which the (I) was incurred is no longer a member of the faculty, the student should contact the program administrator.

Exceptions to these regulations can be made only when re- quested by the student in writing and approved by the instructor and the dean of the college in which the course was taken, and certified by the dean of the college to the registrar. The excep- tion should be obtained prior to the student initiating the work necessary to finish the (I) and the letter granting that exception must accompany the change of grade card when it is sent to the Registrar’s office.

Deferred Grade (Z)

The Deferred Grade (Z) may be recorded for students registered for independent study, thesis, doctoral research project , or dis- sertation if the instructor believes that the quality and quantity of work completed by the end of the semester justifies an extension of time.

An instructor who assigns a grade of (Z) shall submit a Report on Incomplete or Deferred Grade Form to the regional manager stat- ing the remaining requirements for removal of the deferred grade. A copy of the statement of requirements, including deadlines for its completion, shall be made available to the student.

Change of Grade

A request to change a grade may be made by an instructor by filing a Change of Grade Request Card.

Requests for change of grade involving clerical or computational error by an instructor are to be forwarded by ProfEd’s campus office to the appropriate academic unit for processing.

Change of grade requests for other reasons will be forwarded to the appropriate Change of Grade Committee for processing.

Academic Dishonesty

In the academic community, the high value placed on truth implies a corresponding intolerance of scholastic dishonesty. Written or other work which a student submits must be the product of her or his own efforts. Plagiarism, cheating, and other forms of academic dishonesty including dishonesty involving computer technology are prohibited. Additional information on Academic Integrity may be found in Appendix II.

Misrepresentation of Affiliation with the University

It is important to Central Michigan University, its students and alumni that academic and cocurricular work done by students while at the university is accurately and honestly presented. When individuals report their academic performance and/or involvement in university related activities it is expected that they will do so in a truthful manner. Anyone involved in misrepresentation of student coursework, grades, degrees earned and/or involvement with cocurricular organizations or other university related activities may be barred from future enrollment and/or graduation from Central Michigan University. Such activity may also be criminal and subject the person to criminal prosecution.

Withdrawal (W)

All withdrawals will be assessed a $50 fee (see the tuition refund chart on page 18). The Withdrawal (W) grade may be given to any student who formally withdraws from any course, prior to the midpoint of the course. Students who cease/fail to attend class (virtual or otherwise) and have not formally withdrawn from the course will receive a grade of E. Failure to access your online course does not constitute a withdrawal. Students may not with- draw from a course after its midpoint.

All requests for course drops or withdrawals require written no- tification to the Center through which the course is offered.

If you withdraw from or drop classes to a point where you are considered to be a less than half-time student for the semester after a financial aid disbursement has been made and a refund check has been sent, you could be billed back for the full amount of the disbursement.

Document info
Document views775
Page views775
Page last viewedTue Jan 17 23:31:45 UTC 2017