X hits on this document





33 / 152

Repeat Course Policy

To improve a grade previously earned at CMU or elsewhere, an undergraduate student may repeat any course, except Independent Study. A student is limited to three attempts of a course, including withdrawals. This includes repeats where a student has earned a grade of A through E or attempts where they were awarded CR, NC, I, W, Z, or X. This limitation does not apply to independent study and similar courses for which course content varies significantly with each offering or is a vari- able credit course.

The last grade and credits earned at CMU completely replace the previous grade and credit hours in computing the grade point average, although the earlier grade remains a part of the student’s transcript. A grade of A through E must be earned in a repeat course to replace the previous grade in computing the average. A student wishing to repeat a course must complete and sign the Repeat Course Request card available at the program center office.

For students repeating CMU courses at other colleges and earn- ing higher grades, honor points will not transfer, but the previous CMU honor points will be removed in computing the average.

For exceptions to this limitation policy, contact the program administrator for more information.

In some states, repeat courses may not be eligible for veterans’ educational benefits. Please consult the program administrator.

Recomputation of Grade Point Average

An undergraduate student who re-enrolls after matriculation was canceled or after withdrawing voluntarily while on academic probation, after an absence from attending CMU or any other institution for four or more years, may petition the Office of the Dean of Students to recompute her or his cumulative grade point average. If the petition is approved, all courses taken will remain on the permanent record. Those courses with grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, or CR will be counted for credit only. This policy may apply to students presently enrolled at CMU. If the petition is approved, the student resumes her or his academic program at CMU with no cumulative grade point average, and thereafter is subject to conditions of probation and dismissal that govern all students. A student may not graduate from Central Michigan University under this policy unless he or she earns at least 12 semester hours of credit at this institution after the recomputation has been granted.

Graduate students who transfer from one graduate program to another may also file a Recomputation of Grade Point Average Pe- tition. If approved by the academic advisor, department chair, and dean of the College of Graduate Studies, all courses completed (prior to the petition) on the original program will be disallowed on the second program plan, all grades on previous coursework will be disregarded, and the student will begin the new program with no cumulative grade point average. The Recomputation of Grade Point Average Petition must be filed within one calendar year of beginning the new program. NOTE: All courses will still remain on the student’s transcript although the grades will not contribute to the GPA.

Grade Grievance Policy

Grade grievance procedures apply only to the review and reso- lution of allegations of capricious grading. They are not for the review of the instructor’s judgment in assessing the quality of a student’s work.

Capricious grading consists of any of the following: (a) the as- signment of a grade to a particular student on some basis other than her or his performance in the course; (b) the assignment of a grade to a particular student that resorts to more exacting or demanding standards than were applied to other students in that course; it is understood that standards for graduate credit may be different from standards for undergraduate credit; (c) the assign- ment of a grade by a substantial departure from the instructor’s previously announced standards.

Academic Policies and Procedures


A student who has a complaint about a grade should begin with Step One of the procedure by contacting the instructor, either in person or in writing, as soon as possible and not later than 30 days after the course grade is available. The instructor should discuss the matter, explaining how the student’s grade was calculated. A student who is unable to reach the instructor should contact the Vice President/Executive Director’s office in Off-Campus Programs.

A student who is not satisfied with the results of Step One may move to Step Two by initiating the following process within 60 days after the course grade is made available: (1) writing a letter to the instructor stating the reason(s) for moving to Step Two and (2) writing a letter to the appropriate program director (e.g., MSA Director, MA in Counseling Director, MA in Education Director, MA in Humanities Director, or Undergraduate Programs Director) requesting a joint consultation with the instructor and the appropriate program director. The student must include a copy of the student’s letter to the instructor stating the reason(s) for moving to Step Two.

In cases where the instructor is also the program director, the materials will be forwarded to the appropriate dean.

The program director will arrange for a conference call among the instructor, student, and program director as soon as possible. The purpose of the joint consultation is to provide an opportunity for the student and the instructor to discuss the student’s allega- tions with a third party present. The role of the program director is to facilitate the discussion, not to recommend a change of grade. Following the joint consultation, the program director will confirm the outcome of the conference call to the student with a letter which outlines the procedures for moving to Step Three if the student is not satisfied. A copy of the letter to the student will be sent to the instructor.

A student who is not satisfied with the results of Step Two may move to Step Three by writing a letter to the program director within 30 days of the consultation. The letter must include a description of the basis for claiming that the student’s grade was the result of capricious grading as defined in the Off-Campus Programs Bulletin. Evidence such as tests, papers, etc., that would support the student’s allegations must be included at the same time. A copy of the student’s letter and documentation will be sent to the instructor, who will be given 30 days to respond. A copy of the instructor’s response will be sent to the student.

Copies of the letters and documents submitted by both the stu- dent and the instructor will be referred to the appropriate council (e.g., MSA Council, MA in Counseling Council, MA in Education Council, MA in Humanities Council, or Undergraduate EDP Coun- cil). If the council finds the allegations of capricious grading to be supported by substantial evidence, the council will determine the most appropriate remedy. The council may direct the instructor to grade the student’s work anew or to give the student a new examination in the course, or it may take other action that will bring about substantial justice in the individual case. The decision of the council is final and shall be reported in writing to the student, the instructor, and the Vice President/Executive Director’s office of ProfEd.

Academic Load

A graduate student may not be enrolled in more than 15 credits of classes that meet during each of the following periods:

  • Spring (January-May)

  • Summer (May-August)

  • Fall (August-December

No undergraduate student will be permitted to be enrolled in more than 21 credits during any of the following periods:

  • Spring (January-May)

  • Summer (May-August)

  • Fall (August-December)

Document info
Document views783
Page views783
Page last viewedWed Jan 18 08:23:45 UTC 2017