Statistics Package for the Social Science (SPSS)
Importing data from an EXCEL spreadsheet:
Data from an Excel spreadsheet can be imported into SPSSWIN as follows:
1. In SPSSWIN click on FILE ⇒ OPEN ⇒ DATA. The OPEN DATA FILE Dialog Box will appear.
2. Locate the file of interest: Use the "Look In" pull-down list to identify the folder containing the Excel file of interest
3. From the FILE TYPE pull down menu select EXCEL (*.xls).
4. Click on the file name of interest and click on OPEN or simply double-click on the file name.
5. Keep the box checked that reads "Read variable names from the first row of data". This presumes that the first row of the Excel data file contains variable names in the first row. [If the data resided in a different worksheet in the Excel file, this would need to be entered.]
6. Click on OK. The Excel data file will now appear in the SPSSWIN Data Editor.