What is the Benefit?
Infrastructure Needs: Mesoscale observations above and below the atmosphere’s lowest ten meters are particularly inadequate.
The highest priority observations needed to address current inadequacies are:
• Height of the planetary boundary layer
• Soil moisture and temperature profiles
• High resolution vertical profiles of humidity
• Measurements of air quality and related chemical composition above the surface layer
Second tier national observing gaps:
• Direct and diffuse solar radiation
• Vertical profiles of wind
• Sub-surface temperature profiles (e.g., under pavement)
• Icing near the surface
• Vertical profiles of temperature
• Surface turbulence parameters
Recommendation: Collect atmospheric profiles nationally at approximately 400 sites (~125 km resolution) to continually monitor lower tropospheric conditions.
“Ground Up” Report Link: