Dec 1940 Apr 1941
A reorganization meeting of the La Mesa Fire Department is held and new by- laws adopted. In addition, the following appointments were made:
Luther C. Gordon, Fire Chief Raymond Lyles, 1st Assistant Chief Jim Glen, 2nd Assistant Chief Bud Rethwich, Captain
La Mesa Fire Volunteers acquired a 1931 Chevrolet truck with a front mounted 500 gallon-per-minute Barton pump. A picture of it was featured in an article in the January 1939 Popular Science Magazine. The 1931 Chevrolet truck was put together by Yankee Motors in Los Angeles.
When the new WPA building for the Division of Forestry is completed. The two La Mesa trucks, the REO and Chevrolet are housed in various sheds on State property that face Orange Avenue, between Date and Nebo.
The newly renovated fire house on Nebo is occupied. The 1931 Chevrolet and one of the two cab-forward GMC County/State owned fire trucks occupy the two stalls of the new fire station. A lot of the equipment from the REO is transferred to the GMC fire truck.
George Robeson becomes a volunteer fireman. George Robeson owns and operates La Mesa Sheet Metal Company, located just across the alley from the Nebo Drive Station.
The new apartment above the Nebo Drive Fire Station is ready to occupy. Chief Ray Lyles, his wife Erma and his father, A.W. Lyles, occupy the apartment.
Raymond Lyles appointed as La Mesa’s 1st full time, full paid Fire Chief.
James "J.O." Orsborn becomes a volunteer Fireman. He will become the Fire Chief in 1981.
Board of Underwriters and La Mesa Fireman test the new 1941 Seagrave at Little Murray Reservoir. Seagrave passed all tests.
City purchases the new 1941 Seagrave fire engine with a 500 gallon per minute pump. Former Chief Luther Gordon and his wife, Julia, drove the new fire truck from the factory in Columbus, Ohio, to La Mesa. Here is a photo showing the