1. 2007. “Memorandum: Work For not Against Iraq’s constitution””, June 10 2007.
2.2007, “Analyzing Partition: Definition, Classification and Explanation”, Working paper in British-Irish Studies, Number 77, IBIS, UCD-QUB, Ireland.
3. 2007. Debating Partition: Justification and Critiques. In Mapping Frontiers, Plotting Pathways, Working Paper No. 28 Institute of British-Irish Studies IBIS Working Paper No. 78. Dublin and Belfast.
4. 2006. “Q & A. Ethnic Conflicts Experts Argues for Self-Rule Among Iraqi Regions”. The Wall Street Journal Online, October 30.
5.2005. “It is past time to re-frame thinking on the constitutional reconstruction of Iraq,” published , and the Aug. 21.
6. 2000. “L'accord britaniicoirlandes del 1998, I el plus del consensualisme”, in G. Montserrat (ed) Nacionalisme: Debats I dilemes per a un mou mil-lenni, Barcelona: Centre d'Estudis de Temes Contemporanis, pp. 203-28
7. 1999. “Syndicate Paper 11: Human Rights and Their Protection in a Consociational System: Two Topics”, in The Human Rights Act and Criminal Justice in Northern Ireland: Conference Report (Belfast: Criminal Justice Policy Division, Northern Ireland Office), June 1999, pp. 137-46, and see discussion on pp. 133-6.
8. 1998. The 1998 British-Irish Agreement: Consociation Plus (London: Constitution Unit, UCL School of Public Policy).
9. 1994. ‘On the Nature of Nationalism: An Appraisal of Ernest Gellner's Writings on Nationalism’. Papers in Political Economy, University of Western Ontario 47, pp. 1-40.
10. 1991. (with Patrick Dunleavy). ‘Összefoglalva az államról szóló vitát’. Társadalmi Szemle xlvi: 59-68. [translation of ch. 7 of Theories of the State: The Politics of Liberal Democracy ].
11. 1991. ‘Elóadás Erdélyben’. Pro Minoritate 2-3.
12. 1991.‘Érdély Észak-Irorszag’. Világ September.
13. 1990. ‘Resolving Northern Ireland? The Options for British and Irish Policy-Makers in the 1990s’. Wroxton Papers in Politics.
14. Catalan translation, ‘Per Qué es va abolir el Greater London Council’ Traduccio de l'article publicat al'International Journal of Urban and Regional Research (Corporació Metropolitana de Barcelona), viz. Why was the GLC abolished? International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 11 (2): 193-217.
Reports and Consultancies
"Thinking about Coalition Governments: Comparative and European Perspectives,” Department of International Development-UK,
Enabling State Program (Nepal), 2007.
Draft Charter of Rights and Principles for National, Ethnic, Linguistic and Religious Minorities (for Ministry of Human Rights, Kurdistan Regional Government), 2004.
“Building Inclusive States”, Background paper for the UNDP’s The Human Development Report 2004: Cultural Liberty in Today’s Diverse World, (New York: United Nations Development Programme).
“Questions and Answers about Coalition Government” (Report for Kwa-Zulu Natal Parliament, supported by Department for International Development, UK), 2001.
“A Draft Constitutional Charter for the State of Puntland. Report for United Nations” (UNDOS). May 1998. (with M. Guadagni, U Matteo and J. Murray).
Ioan Lewis, James Mayall, John Barker, Teddy Brett, Peter Dawson, Patrick McAuslan, Brendan O'Leary and Karin Von Hippel. August 1995. Decentralized Political Structures for Somalia. London School of Economics, August. Report for UNDOS and the European Union.
Academic reviews / review articles, encyclopedia articles, op-eds and magazine articles
Over 60 reviews or review articles in academic journals and newspapers. Over 100 encyclopedia articles in The Social Science Encyclopedia 2, The Social Science Encyclopedia 3, The Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of Human Thought, World Book Encyclopedia, The Encyclopedia of Nationalism, and the Guinness Encyclopedia. Notable article, entry on “Democracy, Consociational’, in the International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences 2.
Over 80 op-eds in newspapers listed above on page 3.
Public lectures, presentations, addresses and conference activities
"Nationalities, Oil, and Land: Kirkuk and the Disputed Territories", lecture address to the the conference on "The Kurds in International Affairs", Chatham House, London, December 19 2007, the text of the presentation is available at . [Revised version of text will be in an edited volume of the Royal Institute of International Affairs]
"Transformations in Ireland", Keynote Address to the Irish Association Annual Conference, Cross Border People: Southerners in the North; Northerners in the South", Ramada Hotel, Shaw's Bridge, November 9 2007. [The text will be published in an edited volume