Chapter 13 PRACTICE EXAM
Fill-in-the-Blank. Supply the missing word(s) or term(s) to complete the sentence.
1. The __________________________________ Amendment clarified aspects of Electoral College voting.
2. Decorating war heroes is an example of the president's role as chief ________________ ________________.
3. The president is constitutionally bound to execute, or enforce, treaties, acts of Congress, and the judgments of
federal courts in his role as __________________________ _________________________.
4. Except in cases of impeachment, the Constitution gives the president the power to grant _________________
and _______________________ for offenses against the United States.
5. _______________ __________________ made between the president and other heads of state greatly enhance
presidential power in foreign affairs.
6. Powers given to the president by law are called __________________ ____________________.
7. The formal indictment of the president by the House of Representatives is called ______________________.
8. The presidential advisory group composed of the Secretaries of the executive departments is called the
9. The White House Office is coordinated by the ____________ __________ _______________.
10. The only duty of the vice-president found in the Constitution is to preside over the ____________________.
True/False. Circle the appropriate letter to indicate if the statement is true or false.
1. T F A presidential candidate cannot win the Electoral College vote without getting a majority of the
2. T F In most democratic governments, the role of chief of state is given to someone other than the chief
3. T F The president's extensive appointment powers allow him to control and run the federal bureaucracy to
suit his desires.
4. T F The president may grant reprieves and pardons for all offenses against the United States except in cases
of contempt of court.
5. T F The president has the sole power to recognize or refuse to recognize foreign governments.
6. T F Executive agreements made by the president with the heads of other governments must be ratified by
7. T F The presidential veto is an effective legislative tool because Congress rarely can override it.