1905 to the present, indicating changes in numbers of trustees and governing members and governing procedures.
The earliest minutes of the Board of Trustees, recorded in longhand in a bound volume, outline the founding of the Orchestra as well as the capital campaign for Orchestra Hall. Major donors to the hall fund are listed and include Orchestra Hall architect Daniel Burnham, as well as other Chicago notables: Thomas E. Donnelley, Marshall Field, Henry M. Hubbard, Eleanor W. McClurg, Bertha Palmer, Charles H. Swift, and George P. Upton. More recent board minutes are loose-leaf and typed, and contain annual meeting minutes as well as the minutes of various committee meetings prior to 1964. Post-1964 committee meeting minutes form part of a separate series organized alphabetically by committee.
Directories of Trustees and Governing Members, along with Annual Reports and Newsletters, detail the governance as well as the artistic accomplishments and financial standing of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra from approximately 1967 to the present. The General Records and Correspondence series contains substantial material relating to the financing and building of Orchestra Hall in addition to miscellaneous trustee correspondence dating from 1895. Also included in this series is a sizeable collection of the papers of former chairman of the board, Louis Sudler (chairman, 1966-1976; chairman emeritus, 1976-1992), who was a Chicago real estate magnate, philanthropist, and baritone. Sudler was instrumental in hiring Sir Georg Solti as music director and spearheading the Orchestra's first European tour in 1971.
Records of the Development Department
Date Range: 1890-[ongoing]
Size of Collection: 29 linear feet (45 boxes)
Series Description: Record group DEV is arranged in eight series: A. Office of the Vice President for Marketing and Development; B. Capital Campaigns; C. Planned giving; D. Government Grants; E. Annual Fund; F. Volunteer Programs; G. Chicago Symphony Society; and H. Research Department.
Access: Selected corporate records are closed for a 30-year time period; many series in this group contain confidential materials and are permanently retained within the departmental offices. Currently only series E and F are accessible via the public online catalog. Please consult the Archives for further information. Quick Search Tips: To search the online catalog for a specific series within this record group, enter under Keywords the record group code DEV followed by a hyphen and the series letter. Examples: to retrieve a list of holdings within the Volunteer Programs series use Keywords: DEV-F.
Development Department records document the fundraising activities of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Prior to the 1960s, fundraising was handled primarily by the trustees and general manager. A Community Affairs office was established in 1963 to handle development-related activities, and the Development Department was formalized in 1967.
Activities center around large Capital Campaigns, as well as annual gift solicitations from individuals,